i450T review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi all,
Just considering buying one of these AL i450t computers to replace my aeris cs300 and i read in one of the responses above that the oceanic transmitter works with this model. Can anyone confirm this. I'm about to advertise the aeris and if this is the case I'll retain the transmitter to use with the AL.
Thanks in advance

Rather frustrated that I didn't see this before purchasing my i450T.

I purchased an Aqualung i450T and transmitter on 29 May 2019 and I’ve found a couple of issues with it.

Firstly, the backlight button has stopped working. I replaced the battery with a brand new fresh one (after the battery only lasting 7 months with only 6 dives, which was a shame it only lasted that long), however the light button is still not working.

Secondly, I noticed that the bezel has been fitted upside down which is rather frustrating after forgetting which button is which after a period of non-use. It is unsatisfying that this computer has been assembled in such a poor state.

This computer has only done 6 dives since purchased so I am rather frustrated that it has such a poor battery life, the critical buttons have stopped working (as I won’t be able to view the screen on night dives), and that the poor manufacturing of the unit from factory (with the bezel being installed upside down).

I have contacted Aqualung directly who haven't responded, so I flicked an email off to the LSD I purchased it from. See what happens.

Other than this, I am a fan of the computer, it is very user friendly, connects to the transmitter nicely, all round a great piece of kit. Lets see if Aqualung back up their products with their after sales support.

Rather frustrated that I didn't see this before purchasing my i450T.

I purchased an Aqualung i450T and transmitter on 29 May 2019 and I’ve found a couple of issues with it.

Firstly, the backlight button has stopped working. I replaced the battery with a brand new fresh one (after the battery only lasting 7 months with only 6 dives, which was a shame it only lasted that long), however the light button is still not working.

Secondly, I noticed that the bezel has been fitted upside down which is rather frustrating after forgetting which button is which after a period of non-use. It is unsatisfying that this computer has been assembled in such a poor state.

This computer has only done 6 dives since purchased so I am rather frustrated that it has such a poor battery life, the critical buttons have stopped working (as I won’t be able to view the screen on night dives), and that the poor manufacturing of the unit from factory (with the bezel being installed upside down).

I have contacted Aqualung directly who haven't responded, so I flicked an email off to the LSD I purchased it from. See what happens.

Other than this, I am a fan of the computer, it is very user friendly, connects to the transmitter nicely, all round a great piece of kit. Lets see if Aqualung back up their products with their after sales support.
The LDS should be able to go to bat for you and get an RA for them to return the item for service. Regarding the battery - was the face of the unit already working when you bought it, or did it need to be activated? I would expect about 1 year of "typical" recreational use off a battery. But the clock starts ticking on the battery life the moment the unit is first activated, which is why the screens are left blank on my i200c computers on display,

Display was off when purchased, when it was unboxed it all seemed to be factory, followed the instructions in the manual for the initial activation of the device, so I have faith that it was the first activation from the factory.

My main pain point is that the shop I purchased it through is a 9 hour drive north (maybe even longer with the current bushfires in Australia) as I was on a drive trip and my old computer flat out died when I got there (d'oh!) and I hope they take ownership of the issue as (by Australian Consumer Law) it is very much under warranty. Luckily my LDS is only 5 minutes away who said they're happy to help if I get stuck.

Fingers crossed this will be sorted swiftly and smoothy. I am a big Aqualung advocate, I spent a lot of money on some Aqualung Legend regs (full set up) in 2013/14 and they've been absolutely faultless, hence I had no issues in purchasing this computer without much research as I trusted the brand.

Ok, well after a quick phone call to Aqualung I am feeling relieved and a little stupid...

Firstly, the backlight setting was turned "off", which is strange because I never turned it off since my last dive (I didn't even know you could), so one issue nicely fixed.

Secondly the battery issue, Aqualung said that 7 months doesn't sound too bad for the factory battery. It all depends on how long/old the factory supplied battery was. They said if there was a serious issue with the computer, then the battery would not have lasted a month, so I will see how long the newly fitted battery lasts.

Last but not least is still the bezel having been fitted upside down... Even Aqualung were quite surprised by this, and I sent them a photo so they know I am not lying about it. My issue now is if the backlight issue is fixed, the battery issues is fixed (or non existant anyway), is it worth going without a computer to get the bezel fixed? I might chat to my LDS to see if they can get a part ordered in to fix it for me then send the old part back.

So, again, other than the bezel issue, I am feeling very relieved and happy with my i450T and would definitely recommend it. Safe diving all.

Ok, well after a quick phone call to Aqualung I am feeling relieved and a little stupid...

Firstly, the backlight setting was turned "off", which is strange because I never turned it off since my last dive (I didn't even know you could), so one issue nicely fixed.

Secondly the battery issue, Aqualung said that 7 months doesn't sound too bad for the factory battery. It all depends on how long/old the factory supplied battery was. They said if there was a serious issue with the computer, then the battery would not have lasted a month, so I will see how long the newly fitted battery lasts.

Last but not least is still the bezel having been fitted upside down... Even Aqualung were quite surprised by this, and I sent them a photo so they know I am not lying about it. My issue now is if the backlight issue is fixed, the battery issues is fixed (or non existant anyway), is it worth going without a computer to get the bezel fixed? I might chat to my LDS to see if they can get a part ordered in to fix it for me then send the old part back.

So, again, other than the bezel issue, I am feeling very relieved and happy with my i450T and would definitely recommend it. Safe diving all.
The battery and back light might be related. When the low battery warning occurs, the i450T disables the back light. I don't know if it re-enables the light once a new battery is installed, or if it flipped to option to "off" and you have to do that yourself. If you have to do it yourself, then that explains your mystery.

Hello all, I am looking at buying this since I have wanted an AI for some time and LP has it on sale. Are the batteries easy to replace? I love the Taric but the cost is too much for someone that dives only 5 to 10 times a year. At $300 I figure it's worth a gamble... OR, should I pass and get something else??

Hello all, I am looking at buying this since I have wanted an AI for some time and LP has it on sale. Are the batteries easy to replace? I love the Taric but the cost is too much for someone that dives only 5 to 10 times a year. At $300 I figure it's worth a gamble... OR, should I pass and get something else??

Batteries are fairly easy to replace with a screwdriver. Keep an eye on the o-ring any sign of wear its best to replace it at the same time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom