Your Komodo / Bajo advice & opinions are needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is looking more my speed. Thank you for this reco; I did not come across dragon divers in searching for DMT ops! I have only been diving a few years, but easily am feeling the PADI kool-aid influence as I meet more and more divers and DMs

‘You’d certainly get good experience in Komodo, especially with divers who think they can do current, then run out of air in 20 mins, on their first dives. And it will be an experience.

But, most people taking DM in Komodo, are using it as a stepping stone to a full time career - it’s a great choice for that too. DM isn’t a cheap course, then there’s the annual membership and insurance fees.

However if it works out cheaper than being a guest diver for 2 months, go for it

@Diving Dubai is right in all his advice.

Last year I dived in komodo & was assigned to a group of "pros", a few American divemasters from Koh Tao, Thailand, one of the group was boasting how he was working there & getting paid to holiday. On one of our dives, the dive was ended in just over 20 minutes. I asked the DM why it ended so quick, & he said that all the guys ran out of air...whilst me & the DM still had a fair amount of air left
In all fairness, currents & drift diving were probably new to them & it was a strenuous hanging onto rocks type of dive, & equipment wise I had my own, a good regulator and good set of fins, so I was more prepared
Diving day in & day out, & guiding customers from all corners of the world, with different experience & capabilities, in at times very trying conditions, will test you to your limits
The experience that you'll get there as a DM, will make you a better diver...that's a certainty

...& also you probably already know, it's got some of the best & beautiful diving in the world

Enjoy

My favourite coffee place/cafe is Gerobuck Coffee. It's an outdoor coffee stall located on the main street of LB that opens at night. They got a whole variety of fresh lokal Indonesian coffee beans. I remember 1 night I must of had 3-4 coffees & stayed up all night there...so good kopi!:coffee::):wink:

My favourite coffee place/cafe is Gerobuck Coffee. It's an outdoor coffee stall located on the main street of LB that opens at night. They got a whole variety of fresh lokal Indonesian coffee beans. I remember 1 night I must of had 3-4 coffees & stayed up all night there...so good kopi!:coffee::):wink:
Amazing! Sometimes I literally go to be early in hopes of getting to my morning coffee faster! Thx

@Diving Dubai is right in all his advice.

Last year I dived in komodo & was assigned to a group of "pros", a few American divemasters from Koh Tao, Thailand, one of the group was boasting how he was working there & getting paid to holiday. On one of our dives, the dive was ended in just over 20 minutes. I asked the DM why it ended so quick, & he said that all the guys ran out of air...whilst me & the DM still had a fair amount of air left
In all fairness, currents & drift diving were probably new to them & it was a strenuous hanging onto rocks type of dive, & equipment wise I had my own, a good regulator and good set of fins, so I was more prepared
Diving day in & day out, & guiding customers from all corners of the world, with different experience & capabilities, in at times very trying conditions, will test you to your limits
The experience that you'll get there as a DM, will make you a better diver...that's a certainty

...& also you probably already know, it's got some of the best & beautiful diving in the world

Enjoy
This sound like SO much fun and a good challenge for me. I have been in one or two ripping Cozumel currents, but they tend to stay one direction. I love the athleticism that can be required in those moments, I am excited to see how I fare!

I have been in one or two ripping Cozumel currents

The (highly experienced) guide on Current Junkies puts komodao currents into 4 categories

Mild = Fin
Medium = Fin hard
Strong = Fin Hard to remain stationary
Emotional.....

For reference = from her time in Coz she puts those currents at a medium

Biggest failing of people is not being able to calm their breathing down when having to work hard, in even a mild/medium current. Mind over matter.

Ability to multi task, i.e. sort your breathing out, clearing mask and getting yourself hooked on and sorted is often needed. As a Dm the you're doign the same and checking on guests.

But its all doable with practice

The (highly experienced) guide on Current Junkies puts komodao currents into 4 categories

Mild = Fin
Medium = Fin hard
Strong = Fin Hard to remain stationary
Emotional.....

For reference = from her time in Coz she puts those currents at a medium

Biggest failing of people is not being able to calm their breathing down when having to work hard, in even a mild/medium current. Mind over matter.

Ability to multi task, i.e. sort your breathing out, clearing mask and getting yourself hooked on and sorted is often needed. As a Dm the you're doign the same and checking on guests.

But its all doable with practice
This is so exciting. I have about 150 dives in Cozumel over the last few years and only a few of those I felt like the current was strong, like blowing my hair back strong. Loved it! Didn’t love it for actually looking for fishes and critters, but to feel that kind of power in the water was awesome. I’m a big yogi and love scuba for its connection to the breath. The world can stand still with a relaxed long breath or whip by with anxiety filled short panicking breaths. It’s up to you and your mind!
Thanks for the references!

+1 for SJ. I've seen their trainings of DMs over 30 days of diving with them in Komodo. Their goal is to make you a professional, not just a DM. They have made many people professionals in the industry so if your long term plan is to work in the industry, if you excel they might be able to put you to work in one of their many locations.
Yes SJ is isolated but a friendly place with lots of being gathered round tables enjoying a cool beverage, in the evening. They usually have a few DMTS there going thru their training. The other thing I respect them for is training locals and local women, as DMs. The development of LBJ is rapid and making it more tourist friendly with lots of restaurants and bars, but always more tourists come with the development. It still has its charms if your looking for a dive centered town, with lots of young people passing thru.

Back
Top Bottom