Shark Diving - Lemon Sharks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IncreaseMyT

Banned
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Enjoy

Super Exciting!! Thank you for the aspirational video! someday I will be there ... :)

P

Super Exciting!! Thank you for the aspirational video! someday I will be there ... :)

P

I highly recommend going to see Snooty the Lemon on your first shark dive. She has that perm smile because she has a genetic defect. The way I understood it, it would be like a human having autism.

We know that autistic children are much happier than other children and are much friendlier. This is how Snooty behaves, you can kind of notice it in the video she is the one who comes up to Liz for some affection. Also she comes flying by me from behind multiple times, playing hide and seek.

You can see in the video they are not all like this, one of the big females was getting irritated by touch when we were kneeling on the sand. You can see at one point she totally changes directions and comes right at me because she thinks the girl next to me is going to rub her fin.

So I recommend this dive first because Lemons love to get right up in your face, and although they can be nippy, I doubt they could or would cause much damage even in a sketchy situation. So it gets you really comfortable right out of the gate.

Thanks for the comment and glad you enjoyed it.

Oh and I meant to say something about how social they were. They actually grow up in the backwater until they are about 10 years old. Hanging out with their siblings their entire life. Thats why when you see 1 Lemon you see a dozen. Very social.

We know that autistic children are much happier than other children and are much friendlier. This is how Snooty behaves, you can kind of notice it in the video she is the one who comes up to Liz for some affection. Also she comes flying by me from behind multiple times, playing hide and seek.

You can see in the video they are not all like this, one of the big females was getting irritated by touch when we were kneeling on the sand. You can see at one point she totally changes directions and comes right at me because she thinks the girl next to me is going to rub her fin.

So I recommend this dive first because Lemons love to get right up in your face, and although they can be nippy, I doubt they could or would cause much damage even in a sketchy situation. So it gets you really comfortable right out of the gate.

Thanks for the comment and glad you enjoyed it.

Yea I noticed Sooty with the "evil grin!" Not much damage from a lemon shark bite you say?? I dont want to check out just to find out ...

P

I have never been bit, it is mostly the feeders that eventually find out :) Never heard of an aggressive story, but accidents do happen especially when there is miscommunication between the feeder and the shark.

On this dive I am right next to the box and feeder the whole time, trying to get the best footage. You have the option to hang out in the back of the crowd and you won't have to worry about any confusion on what your role is for the day.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom