buying first regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey. I'm newly certified and I'm starting to look into buying some scuba gear. I'm about to spend the next few months in Southeast Asia diving and thought that it would be wise to invest in a regulator. Here's what I'm thinking:

1) Yoke valve
2) Ease of breathing
3) Moderately priced

Any recommendations? Its difficult for me to navigate all the options out there.

Warm water: Atomic B2 is hands down the best.

Cold water: The Zeagle F8 (cause its basically a diaphragm reg B2)

Not your first reg, the only reg you will ever need for rec diving.

1) Yoke valve
2) Ease of breathing
3) Moderately priced
I bought my work horse Apeks DS4 + TX 50 in 1998 and is still using it. It is suitable for cold water as well.
I have also learnt how to service it as it is EASY.
Apeks is probably a bit expensive in USA.

In SE Asia, Scubapro is probably the most common.
As for Aqualung Core/Titan, I would pick the cheapest version as long as it is environmental sealed.

Absolutely no need to buy top of the range model, it is OTT!

Hello Garrett
Standard question, that requires a standard answer…
I will just quote what I said elsewhere

My 2 cents. Most new equipment sold in the EU and in the USA is good enough for recreational diving. If it is dangerous, it's impossible to sell it, the local authorities would not allow it... It's just a matter of personal preference, for example if you feel comfortable with the mouthpiece, or similar. Then there could be the weight in case you plan to fly and bring your own equipment. And of course the price. If you buy new regulators you have to consider both the price of the product and the price of spare parts and regulators service that must be made regularly, some people say every year let's say anyway preferably not less frequently than every 2 or 3 years.
If you are into technical diving, it's a different ballgame, but then you would not be asking here…
Another thing to remember in case you do recreational diving is that some regulators are not suitable for diving in cold waters, but when I say cold I mean VERY COLD, let's say if you plan to do ice diving or lake diving in very cold waters like the ones in the alpine lakes in Europe. If you plan to dive in cold waters you have to check that the regulators you purchase are good for that too

If you buy second hand you can get very good bargains, but you need to be cautious provided several pieces of gear and regulators most of all require some knowledge and experience to be bought second hand. Anyway, they should be used like new and very recent, or relatively older but recently serviced, otherwise they could be not worth it. If you buy second hand without previous experience it would be good to buy only from persons you know and you can meet in person in your group or association

If you buy new or used with a service you shouldn’t need anyone messing with it during a few months in SEA but the most often seen regulators are aqua lung and scubapro. I would also be completely comfortable with Zeagle or Atomic but I do my own service and always bring a spare reg set, most often loaned out to someone else when their reg fails.

Deep 6 signature set or scribble set. Parts kits will be included with the purchases so if you need to replace or repair anything while in SEA you’ll already have the parts on hand and ready to go. They breath and work fantastic. You physically will not be able to tell a difference in breathing between any of the top models when they are tuned properly. Our lungs are not that sensitive. Plus deep 6 is HIGHLY active on SB and is always here to back their customers if an issue arises.
Deep 6 Configurable Single Tank Package

Deep 6 Scribble 1st + 2nd and Hose

Deep 6 signature series in DIN. I've dove pretty much all the big name regs and they breath just as well if not better, which at the end of the day is moot because you can tune/detune any reg, it's just a question of how long it will hold that tune. The flip side is deep 6 is cheaper on the cost spectrum, included service kits, and your first service for free.

There is dudes doing some deep (depth and penetration) dives using deep 6 regs.

I think you would be a fool for not at least considering them.

Attachments

• 20191215_232602.jpg
    20191215_232602.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 96
Deep 6 signature series in DIN. I've dove pretty much all the big name regs and they breath just as well if not better, which at the end of the day is moot because you can tune/detune any reg, it's just a question of how long it will hold that tune. The flip side is deep 6 is cheaper on the cost spectrum, included service kits, and your first service for free.

There is dudes doing some deep (depth and penetration) dives using deep 6 regs.

I think you would be a fool for not at least considering them.
Ummmmmmmm how did you dye the 2nd green?

Back
Top Bottom