Marble mine in Belgium

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Germie

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Sunday I was diving in an old black marble mine in Belgium. The mine is not really big. Depth was now 30m, but depends on the ground water level. The viz in the open water part is almost zero, but when you swim in the overhead part, at around 18-20m depth, the viz clears up. You can swim the mine around in about 20 minutes. There is 1 place where you can lay a jump to another short tunnel. It is not a real full cave dive, but to swim the mine around you pass several T's. But it is nice to dive in this mine as it is not too far from the Netherlands. The mines in Germany that are open for divers are in Northrhein Westfalen bigger, but more expensive. That are all slate mines (the only iron mine is sadly closed for diving now). Here it is a marble mine.
The mine is open for full cave divers and the owner is friendly. He tries to improve parking lots, sells some cheeceburgers, etc. You pay 7.50 euro for 2 dives.
I took my camera and took some pictures. As the walls are mostly black, most light from strobes is absorbed. But I am happy with the resuls. It gives an good impression of the mine.

Rhisnes12.jpg

Rhisnes11.jpg

Rhisnes9.jpg

Rhisnes7.jpg

Rhisnes4.jpg

Rhisnes13.jpg

Rhisnes.jpg

Thanks for sharing. Nice pictures btw. Where's the mine located ?

Wow 7.5 euros is super budget
Looks like a nice dive too

Wow 7.5 euros is super budget
Looks like a nice dive too

actually 7.5 euros makes it one of if not the most expensive place to dive outdoors in Belgium. I admit we have it good here compared to the US where I heard it often costs @ $20 to dive a quarry.

-Z

actually 7.5 euros makes it one of if not the most expensive place to dive outdoors in Belgium. I admit we have it good here compared to the US where I heard it often costs @ $20 to dive a quarry.

-Z
Well the mines in Sweden are 40-50 euros so 7.5 sounds pretty budget

Give me a shout the next time you are back diving this way and not planning to dive in an overhead environment.

-Z

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom