Volcano Taal Erupting. Manila Airport Closed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes Philippine Airlines is gaining a reputation for being strict with carry-on... it's one of the reasons I took the ferry to Cebu instead of flying and why I usually avoid flying with them if I can. They specifically state on their website though not to check expensive items like camera equipment so if it becomes an issue then I'll point that out. I think you're right... they don't want the liability.

It's never an issue with United... they seem to only look at size of the carry-on, not weight. I bought my ticket late and ended up flying United here but am flying Philippine Airlines back.

@bill22 Could you please point out where on the website of Philippine Airlines it says specifically to refrain from checking expensive items like camera equipment?

Update on Taal. While the potential is there. I don't see the report showing any substantial increase in activity.

update.jpg

Some of the latest pictures showing steam venting from the volcano. Looks less active. Fingers crossed.....

taalone.jpg
taaltwo.jpg

Update on Taal. While the potential is there. I don't see the report showing any substantial increase in activity.

The thing to look at here is not an increase in activity, but a decrease in activity.

Taal update:

At this point, there is no real increae or decrease in possibilities. Some of the earthquake swarms have decreased intensity, but the ground swell continues, indicating there is still motion underground.

The inner Crater Lake is totally gone, evaporated (boiled off). Fissures have formed to the West and Southwest of Volcano Island in the towns of Lemery, Laurel, and Agnocillo, as well as others. These fissures increased in size (width) by a few cm over last night.

Taal remains at Alert Level 4 (5 is max). People within the 14km zone remain evacuated, and the towns to the W/SW remain on lockdown (nobody allowed in).

At this point, there is nothing anybody can do but wait n see. Manila, Puerto Galera, and other areas away from Taal continue life as usual...no real impacts outside of the Taal area. Those who have travel plans to Visayas, Cebu, Manila, Puerto Galera - no need to adjust. Just keep an eye on the status of MNL Airport in case of flight delays.

I would not suggest Anilao at this time. Not because of particular danger, but because the area is quite impacted by ash fall and supporting evacuees. It's probably best not to add to the "commotion" yet.

Edit: Forgot to add that as of Fri, Jan 17, authorities have allowed people and business to return to Tagaytay City, but Only Tagaytay at this time. (It is to the North, on top of the ridge around Taal Lake.) The rest of the 14km radius remains evacuated.

I pray the Philippines has seen the worst of it, for now.

This whole event has made me poignantly aware of the diaspora of nomenclature.. Philippines - Filipino

I pray the Philippines has seen the worst of it, for now.

This whole event has made me poignantly aware of the diaspora of nomenclature.. Philippines - Filipino

Yes, let's pray that the worst is over for now. Still too early to tell, but thoughts and prayers to those round affected around Taal.

This volcano has an interesting history of major, moderate, and mild eruptions which makes it very unpredictable. (Not that volcanoes are very predictable to begin with.. )

I will update later with PhiVolcs statement regarding Taal.

But interesting observation @BoundForElsewhere. Of course the country is the Republic of the Philippines, we all know that, but the term for the people, Filipino, is derived from their Tagalog language. Tagalog does not use "ph" for "F" sound, nor do they use (word)"tion" because Filipino languages pronounce all vowels....so words like "action" become "aksyon"... (there is a tagalog word, pagkilos, but is used less often). As an American living in the Philippines, I find it very cool learning Tagalog. (It's also not that difficult.) Maybe I will make a "phrase book" sticky post for PH Paradise Divers.

Yes, let's pray that the worst is over for now. Still too early to tell, but thoughts and prayers to those round affected around Taal.

This volcano has an interesting history of major, moderate, and mild eruptions which makes it very unpredictable. (Not that volcanoes are very predictable to begin with.. )

But interesting observation @BoundForElsewhere. Of course the country is the Republic of the Philippines, we all know that, but the term for the people, Filipino, is derived from their Tagalog language. Tagalog does not use "ph" for "F" sound, nor do they use (word)"tion" because Filipino languages pronounce all vowels....so words like "action" become "aksyon"... (there is a tagalog word, pagkilos, but is used less often). As an American living in the Philippines, I find it very cool learning Tagalog. (It's also not that difficult.) Maybe I will make a "phrase book" sticky post for PH Paradise Divers.

I think that would be a wonderful Idea, thank you. I always try to learn at least a few phrases in the language of the places to which we travel. Of course, I lose that pretty quick but I still remember how to say three months in Vietnamese. Our daughter was that old when we went and everyone always asked how old she was. Ba tang. in case you were wondering.

Phrase book sticky sounds good to me. An under-reported fact: English is the second official language of the Philippines.

Just for fun, some Tagalog internet shorthand. Dito means here. Which can be shorthanded to "d2". Have you eaten? Kumain ka na ba? Shorthanded to Kumain k n b

Conversing with some ladies on the internet will leave you in the dust if you don't know shorthand. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom