Freedom Plate Divers Roll Call: show us your rig!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No- I must have set it up upside down!
Its the first reg set ever set up on my own & now I must be just used to it that way haha

You can do it either way. Some people do it the way you did because they want to protect the diaphragm on the end.

I use a similar 1st stage for single tank, but I set it up with the octo coming out of the bottom port and have it pointing down and slightly to the right. So, the reg is inverted from how you have it and the octo hose goes down and routes neatly under my arm, instead of sticking out to the side, then bending down to go under my right arm.

I use a similar 1st stage for single tank, but I set it up with the octo coming out of the bottom port and have it pointing down and slightly to the right. So, the reg is inverted from how you have it and the octo hose goes down and routes neatly under my arm, instead of sticking out to the side, then bending down to go under my right arm.

I did it this way as well for me and my daughter. Particularly for her it keeps it tucked nicely to your side. She is so short that with a side port option she was always getting the hose outside of her arm forming a big loop off to her side. Now she has no issues with hose routing.

I am going to try this as well

Feeling like I've got my FP rigged up just about right- very balanced and I've really enjoyed every aspect of diving it!
On the set up I went with harness webbing and hardware from Randy at Piranha Dive Mfg, a VDH 23# wing, and HOG cam bands & crotch strap. XS weight pockets are on the belt, but I haven't needed to use them yet. So far it's been all warm water dives in a shorty & hooded vest- so no additional weight needed.
Snapped this pic on Coz trip last month!
-Ethan
View attachment 561522
The blue webbing looks cool.

I am super excited to post this for multiple reasons:

1) Like many of you, I have been interested in a Freedom Plate for a while. I switched to a BP/W setup about 2 years ago and have loved it, but felt that it could get better/more comfortable (at least out of the water, I'm pretty happy for the most part underwater).

2) I am one of those weirdo's whose minor OCD requires things like TV volume and A/C settings to be either even numbers or right in the middle at 5. With that in mind, the fact that I got Eric's 500th Freedom Plate is extremely satisfying! Right in the middle AND an even number? Fireworks went off in my brain when he let me know.

3) I'm also very excited to be the first to receive a S/S wedge! The additional weight brings it pretty close to the the weight of my other plate, and the fact that it adds it more toward the bottom of the plate is wonderful, as I have somewhat floaty feet. Granted, the plate doesn't extend down my back as far as my other one, but I don't think that will be that big of a deal. I won't be able to tell how it feels with a tank on until I get in the water, but I can certainly see the benefits of having the tank slightly kicked out.

4) When I found out I was included in this production run, I really didn't think the plate would arrive as quickly as it did. My wife and I have our annual Bonaire trip booked for March, and I had gladly accepted that I would be diving with my current plate while there. The fact that I can now travel with slightly less weight (can detach the wedge and put it in my backpack, while putting my plate in the carry-on like always) will be great, and of course, being able to dive it in Bonaire, my happy place, is thrilling.

Without further adieu, pictures attached. I was too excited to get it set up, so the harness and VDH 18# wing were put on before taking pictures. I promise it looks like pretty much every other Freedom Plate that you have recently seen pictures of. :)

I forgot the most important part. Thank you @Eric Sedletzky for the excellent craftsmanship. I really appreciate the work you put into these, as I know many others do!

511 here, straight from the source. So pumped to dive this piece of art. I’ll add that it’s a true pleasure to do business with an artisan in the finest California tradition. Leo Fender comes to mind.

Thank you Eric Sedletzky for being a gentleman and a bad***!

F067FBC9-5BBD-4F3D-8C8D-C288F07D0320.jpeg

Hola from Cozumel! Here’s my new lightweight stainless Contour Plate basking in the warm Mexican sun after seven days of incredible diving. This plate combined with a VDH 18 wing is the perfect combination for warm water diving. Couldn’t be happier!

4C2E0601-2654-4C97-9070-C254B50B1481.jpeg

Hola from Cozumel! Here’s my new lightweight stainless Contour Plate basking in the warm Mexican sun after seven days of incredible diving. This plate combined with a VDH 18 wing is the perfect combination for warm water diving. Couldn’t be happier!

View attachment 568811

Thanks for posting. What's the total weight of the rig, and do you miss having a wedge?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom