Weird Narcosis Experience?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don’t even know how one can tell if your are narced, if I am correctly identifying it you actually feel pretty good, not bad.
That is a euphoric type narc that is typical with warm water. A dark narc is quite common in cold dark waters and gives a feeling of impending doom and anxiety.

That is a euphoric type narc that is typical with warm water. A dark narc is quite common in cold dark waters and gives a feeling of impending doom and anxiety.

Yes but when reading the article you can see she is describing vertigo. She describes the scene as melting together and looking cartoonish. This is a very specific sign of vertigo. The disorientation makes everything blurry and you can't tell which way is up and which is down. This is probably why she hit the floor on descent, she had it from immersion and could not tell where she was at.

Also if your ears are stuck going up is only going to make it worse.

When I get narced I feel really confident, but I don't even notice it until I am back on the boat going over the dive in my head.

And the ringing in her ears also points to vertigo.

There’s a lot of contradiction in the story. She was over weighted and the descent was uncontrolled causing her to hit the seabed and panic. Imagination took over then. The bit where she describes the sea bed looking funny I can relate to. I dropped 75 meters onto the steel hull of a wreck very fast and it felt like cotton wool for about a minute.

Yes but when reading the article you can see she is describing vertigo. She describes the scene as melting together and looking cartoonish. This is a very specific sign of vertigo. The disorientation makes everything blurry and you can't tell which way is up and which is down. This is probably why she hit the floor on descent, she had it from immersion and could not tell where she was at.

Also if your ears are stuck going up is only going to make it worse.

When I get narced I feel really confident, but I don't even notice it until I am back on the boat going over the dive in my head.

And the ringing in her ears also points to vertigo.
Is that true that vertigo will make things look cartoonish ?

Is that true that vertigo will make things look cartoonish ?

Thats exactly how it was described to me. This is a guy mind you that has been diving for over 40 years. Can't count the dives.

It really messed him up. He doesn't dive hardcore with us anymore. I couldn't get him off the bottom because he got it when he hit the cold water band at the bottom. So going up just put more pressure on him.

Thats exactly how it was described to me. This is a guy mind you that has been diving for over 40 years. Can't count the dives.

It really messed him up. He doesn't dive hardcore with us anymore. I couldn't get him off the bottom because he got it when he hit the cold water band at the bottom. So going up just put more pressure on him.
How does he know it was vertigo and not narcosis?

How does he know it was vertigo and not narcosis?

Because when your narced you go up you feel better (normal). We were down there for a while man, I thought I was gonna have to drag him up. I actually have a little footage of it let me see if I can find it.

Because when your narced you go up you feel better (normal). We were down there for a while man, I thought I was gonna have to drag him up. I actually have a little footage of it let me see if I can find it.
But you said he wouldn't come up. So how do you know it would have gotten better? What happened when you finally got him off the bottom?

But you said he wouldn't come up. So how do you know it would have gotten better? What happened when you finally got him off the bottom?

Like I said we were down there for a while. I did not know this at the time of course, why he would not come up. But before I even realized what was going on he had tried to come up multiple times and it got worse, a lot worse. He was decent on the bottom at about 100 foot. He had just speared a fish right next to me so I thought that was weird to begin with, it was almost as if he didn't see me there. So I hit the eject button and went up about 10 feet, hovering over him as you can see in the video here at 1:40

I can not find the throw away clips at the moment but the names of the clips may come to me and I will dig up the rest of the footage that did not make it into the video.

So as I hovered over him I noticed he was having a hard time getting this fish together after shooting it, so I decided to just hang out in the column above him for a bit. Thats why you can see in the video I did not shoot a fish at the tower that day, I was hanging in the column a lot.

So anyways I am starting to run out of air and getting close to deco. So I went down again to ask him what was up. He pointed to his ear and then pointed up, but I still did not know what he was trying to say. He had more air than I did he doesn't use as much, but not much more because I was at a shallower depth than he was for the majority of the time.

Finally, reluctantly he came with me to the top. He described everything in detail and did not dive the next 4 dives, because we were still deep.

Finally we get to the California wreck for the last dive of the day and he decides to try it, it is about 430pm and I don't get any footage of course my camera was off but we ended up getting charged by bull sharks on that dive after shooting some African Pompano, and he even got his gun stolen.

So it made for an interesting day, my only regret is not having the video of that last dive! It was epic.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom