Weird Narcosis Experience?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chillyinCanada

ScubaBoard Supporter
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
I don’t buy it. Maybe she had vertigo. Sounds like she is not as experienced as she thinks she is, and had some vertigo and then a panic/anxiety attack.

Ive seen someone with vertigo and it’s not fun.

I don’t even know how one can tell if your are narced, if I am correctly identifying it you actually feel pretty good, not bad.

25 meters? Narcosis hits that early?

boy, that whole things was very dramatic. sheesh.

Dark, cold, rapid descent coupled with some CO2 retention it can happen pretty shallow.

good know. I only get hit around 30 meters and deeper after multiple days of multiple dives but that's in bath water. to me, narcosis has always felt like doing whippits.

CALORIC VERTIGO

This is a transient form of vertigo that is experienced mostly due to the unequal vestibular stimulation by cold water. On immersion, cold water usually enters both ears symmetrically. However, if cold water enters only one ear canal or if one eardrum is perforated causing more direct stimulation of that ear, it can bring about vertigo. One-sided ear canal obstructions can be caused by one of the following: poor-fitting asymmetric hoods, a lump of ear wax, swimmer’s ear, bony outgrowths in the ear canal, or even foreign bodies, such as ear plugs or an air bubble.

The perforation of the eardrum is a brief but dramatic cause of significant vertigo. Following a “pop” or a sharp, stabbing pain in the ear, cold water rushes into the ear and is immediately followed by vertigo. As soon as the water warms to body temperature, the stimulus is removed and the giddiness subsides. In the diving environment, the three major predisposing factors that cause tympanic membrane perforation that lead to vertigo are middle-ear barotrauma of descent, forceful auto-inflation of the middle ear and shock waves (such as falling onto the ear when entering the water from a boat or with the discharge of explosives in the water).

Vertigo in the Diving Environment

This happens to us spearfishing sometimes because the water can be warm up top, but cold on the bottom. If you get drug around by a big fish, it can get bad. I have only had an ear ache from it, but my friend had vertigo really bad, and he was very very confused. He hasn't been the same since.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom