When do you replace latex drysuit neck and/or wrist seals?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lorenzoid

ScubaBoard Supporter
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Do you proactively replace latex neck and/or wrist seals on your drysuit, or do you wait until you see a tear to replace a seal? If proactive, how many dives/hours on the seal (or years including storage) before replacing? I have a wrist ring system, so the wrists are really not the issue here--I'm more interested in the neck, for which I chose not to have a ring system.

I store the suit in a dark closet inside my home. The neck seal probably has about 100 hours of use on it, over about 4 years. (Yeah yeah, I need to dive dry more.) My wife's suit of the same age has developed a small neck seal tear, so I'm thinking we might as well replace it on my suit at the same time.

I replace mine (DUI) when the neck seal edge looks a bit 'wrinkled' instead of circular. Look closely at the surface, replace the neck seal when it looks a bit grayish and slightly cracked when stretched.

In short, if it doesn't leak then it is good enough for my next dive...

I use silicone seals, but one way you can get your latex seals to last longer is to give them a nice dousing of Billiard Talc Powder when in storage and not diving. Needs to be real billiard talc. Other talc powders (like baby powder) contain ingredients that will dry out the seals and cause them to crack.
https://www.amazon.com/Silver-Cup-B...79109106&sprefix=Billiard+talc,aps,207&sr=8-3

Thanks, Trailboss. For storage of a week or more, I wash my seals with soapy water, then when dry I apply talc. Still, the question is, presuming good maintenance like that, should I consider replacing the seals proactively. I’m starting to think no—or at least not unless I were heading off on an expensive, remote trip where field repairs would be difficult.

Thanks, Trailboss. For storage of a week or more, I wash my seals with soapy water, then when dry I apply talc. Still, the question is, presuming good maintenance like that, should I consider replacing the seals proactively. I’m starting to think no—or at least not unless I were heading off on an expensive, remote trip where field repairs would be difficult.
Exactly!

Back
Top Bottom