Based on what you now know with BP/W setups...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah, what he ^ said. When using a largish carry-on, I use the AL plate concave side down as armor
for all the stuff under it. Works great and is the easiest way to pack.

I use Halcyon and Finnsub BP's both of which are very nice, if a bit overpriced.

If I was on the market for another plate, and lived on your side of the pond, I'd seriously lust after a Freedom Plate, as sported by quite a few on Scubaboard. I'll admit I've not seen one in the flesh, but it looks like a beautifully made piece of craftsmanship. I believe they're hand made to order in the USA by a fellow SB'er. A quick search on the forum will turn up more info.

Just a thought.

I've had a Freedom Plate for about a dozen years now and would never use anything else. I sold my Halcyon plate. It was OK for doubles, but the Freedom plate conforms to my spine and makes carrying a heavy tank barely noticeable. With generic tank bands and harness, the tank doesn't shift. I don't need a single tank adapter like some plates require. At about five pounds, I take the Freedom plate everywhere I travel.

Yeah, what he ^ said. When using a largish carry-on, I use the AL plate concave side down as armor for all the stuff under it. Works great and is the easiest way to pack.

I have taken mine on quite a few trips but JUST discovered this method on the most recent one. Until then I had been putting the plate on the bottom of the bag. My bag has internal straps, and they hold the "armor" plate in place over all my other stuff, such as regs. I don't know why I didn't think of this earlier. I guess we can't all be as clever as you.

With what you've learned thus far with new backplate technology and the myriad straps and buckles out there and all you were going to do was travel the warm salt water reefs and wrecks of the world with weight in mind, What setups would you consider if you could in the past with your present knowledge? I interacted with Bryan a bit over at VDH and can't beat the quality/price and his quick responses, now I'm thinking about the harness, straps, buckles etc. Any suggestion on a good harness/kit to buy? I'm a no go for Chinese crap so please don't link any of that. I'm a fan of democracies and especially ours.

Mind you I will never be a technical diver as the wife would kill me in the process of pursuit so I thought BP/W would be great for travel and shore diving on quick weekends from Houston to the Carib.

Peace...swim

Swimbody,

FWIW, I have a SS BP and I travel with it every few months on long flights.

I use two bits of checked luggage depending on the intended dives. One has wheels and a telescoping handle for when I take my twinset regs and deco regs (so, getting heavy with four first stages and four second stages) and the other just has backpack straps for recreational dive trips (one first stage and two second stages).

I don’t think a SS BP is all that bad to travel with. I’ve been close on luggage weight but Lufthansa, Delta and United haven’t charged me (yet).

I like the advantage of not having to diddle around with weights on board. I quickly rig my kit sitting in one spot and I’m ready to splash. I suppose one could say that fetching a few weights and plopping them in the pockets of one’s AL BP doesn’t take but a second and I can’t deny that. However, I like having a nice clean rig and a SS BP offers me that.

I’m not passionate against AL BPs....I just wanted to share that I don’t find an AL BP to be “mandatory” for travel.

Best of luck and enjoy the hunt!

@swimbody why not get the whole kit from VDH. Brian sells the straps as well in a kit.
From my perspective, I bought an aluminum plate for travel, but am now thinking I should have got SS to take weight away from my belt.
good luck and let us know what you end up with

{my2cents}

The absolute best thing about a true BP&W is you can always slide/move/change/swap it around.
You go diving with it and hate something (like a D-ring location). Just sit on the carpet, undo it and move it.

Hate your tank bands? Swap them.
Want an escape shoulder buckle? Thread it on
You like Pink? Put a different strap on
Want a pony bottle holder location? Do it

You can do anything you want with a BP&W.

I had been putting the plate on the bottom of the bag.

I did that too, with the fleece on top, until I realized the bottom was fairly well protected. Also "they" are usually interested in large metal objects. Plus, BP on top is handier for bopping rude/drunken passengers on the head.

I've had a Freedom Plate for about a dozen years now and would never use anything else. I sold my Halcyon plate. It was OK for doubles, but the Freedom plate conforms to my spine and makes carrying a heavy tank barely noticeable. With generic tank bands and harness, the tank doesn't shift. I don't need a single tank adapter like some plates require. At about five pounds, I take the Freedom plate everywhere I travel.
I second the freedom plate. Made in California so kinda in the USA :wink:. I've got an aluminum and a steel freedom plate. Big drawback for freedom plates are 1. cost (very expensive) and 2. time - they're almost always backordered. You have to wait to get one.

Back
Top Bottom