Ultima Dry Glove System question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ah yes I was looking at Aqua Lungs website and they call it the “Dry Glove Lock System” I was leaving out the “Glove” part.

Thanks again for the other info. I do appreciate it.

I was aware that Aqua Lung owned Apeks as all of my dive gear is Apeks. I did not however know that they moved there fusion production to Canada. I thought it was still overseas. When I ordered my suit the Aqua Lung rep was there so I could try on suits and he said it would be only 2-6 weeks. He also said he would know exactly how long it would be once it goes into production. I’m now on 4 weeks and still no update so I’m guessing it’s not even in production yet. Kinda sucks because it’s now cold and I want to dive and can’t. And if you are being told 2-3 months it’s not looking good. I guess I’ll just have to wait....

Just when you thought this thread was truly dead... Ansell goes and designs a new glove that's a new player in the market.

The glove is called the "58-735" and looks very much like some of the Ansell gloves that I've tested and compared to the SHOWA 720s in the past. However... It's not the same glove and does not have the same fit... It fits much more like the SHOWA 720, which is a really great thing.

The 58-735's big claim to fame is the fact that it's twice as resistant to abrasion and about three times as cut resistant than the SHOWA 720s - but is no thicker, no less flexible, and just as stretchy.

I've already got a set loaded on a pair of Ultima Dryglove Rings. My second rings have 720s on them. I'll head-to-head the two gloves to see if there's a durability advantage.

Here's a link: AlphaTec® 58-735

For what it's worth, MaxBottomTime - this new glove is 1/2" longer than the 720.

Just ordered some. Thanks. I haven't had a leak with the 720s or the green 379s. I like the extra grip option of the Ansell AlphaTec 58-735. I tend to grab sharp rocks and wrecks. :)

I added to my table, if I find more of the ansi info, I'll include that as well to directly compare.

F1A4A206-F6E9-47ED-AC36-BC94B93C76A1.png

Will someone comment on the size of these, maybe compare size to size against the 720.

Yes... I literally can't tell the difference between a SHOWA 720 and this new Alphatec 58-735... Except that the fabric seems to be maybe 10% thicker and slightly more supple (soft and stretchy). The fingertips of the 58-735 might have ever so slightly more room in them than the SHOWA 720s... Like the finger shape is slightly more tubular and slightly less pointed.

The differences are extremely slight, though.

I tested size 10 Ansell 58-735s and SHOWA 720s back-to-back about 20 times while wearing a Burton Powerstretch glove liner.

Does Ansell send samples like SHOWA does?

-Z

I added to my table, if I find more of the ansi info, I'll include that as well to directly compare.

View attachment 561589

Bob, this is the most comprehensive, simple-to-understand explanation of the gloves we've tested. Super impressive! What a great idea to finally commit the knowledge to a spreadsheet!

In working for the US Coast Guard recently in Atlantic Beach, NC (water temp 52*), I was shocked to see the 720 fail pretty badly at keeping my hands (and therefore my arms) dry. I dive the 720s all the time - nearly every day during season - and haven't had a problem with their durability and resistance to cuts and punctures. In fact, they've been pretty impressive overall in how well they hold up to the worst of conditions.

I suppose that there's just a difference in the species of barnacle or oyster or whatever there than in the area that I'm used to - Savannah/Jacksonville... And even though the growth there in NC is not nearly as bad as it is here, apparently it's SHARPER or something. My divers and I literally punctured gloves on every single dive, regardless of how careful we were. One of my gloves came up with three separate holes in it - and I'd only been underwater for maybe ten minutes.

...Which is why I decided to look at what was new, and found the higher-rated Ansell 58-735s. We'll see how they do.

...a878bob, have you tried that 3416 neoprene glove? I went out to my shop to take a look at those - because your spreadsheet shows that they're clearly the durability winner - and discovered that I've never tested that glove. Is it too thick? Looks great in the pictures... I'll order a sample today.

Also, was it you that tested the SHOWA 282 (PU) glove?

Does Ansell send samples like SHOWA does?

-Z

According to them, yes... But good luck with that. When you ask for samples, they forward your inquiry to your regional Ansell rep... Who is supposed to get in touch with you and send them to you. I've requested dozens of different samples, but only received one or two ever... And the rep quickly disappeared.

If you figure out a way to reliably get samples from Ansell, let me know.

Excellent products. Not-so-great customer service.

Seajay, you sent me the neoprene gloves, they are not wearable for diving, way to thick.

I have worn the 282 many times, but have decided to put them in the box, the are super comfy and warm, but don't seem to hold underwater, they are always damp to wet after the dive, it seems to be the material.

I had the same response from Ansel, doesn't seem likely I'll get a sample, and will look elsewhere.

Btw, did you get my second installment.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom