Flying with Regulators into and out of the Philippines

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ironborn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have a question about flying with regulators into and out of the Philippines. Please correct me if I am wrong, but I understand that the Philippines’ airport security considers them “blunt instruments” that could be used as weapons and thus does not allow them in carry-on baggage (which seems odd to me). One would thus have to put them in checked luggage for flights that originate inside the Philippines, which is not what I would normally do. I would normally have it in my carry-on, lest it get lost, stolen, or damaged in the checked bag; this seems to be a standard best practice, but apparently one cannot do that on flights originating inside the Philippines.

I am flying on Philippine Airlines from New York to Panglao, with a connection in Manila, all on one ticket. I would prefer, if possible, to carry on my regulator from New York to Manila. When I get to Manila, will I have to claim my checked bag, go through customs, and then re-check it, even though I am on the same ticket? Can I then put my regulator in my checked bag for my connecting flight to Panglao? Or will I have to put the regulator in my checked bag in New York, if I will not have access to my checked bag in Manila?

Any tips for protecting the regulator bag inside my checked luggage, other than wrapping it in wetsuits and clothes? I have a hard suitcase.

The answer to every questions about the Philippines is Your Mileage May Vary.

While one would expect that the rules for things such as flight safety etc would be relatively consistent in their application no rules are consistent in their application in the Philippines.

Basically it comes down to what the individual enforcer of the rules feels like doing at the time, even pointing out with the references that what they are saying is different from the actual rules, is useless here if the enforcer says otherwise. To change their ruling is a major loss of face to them and no way will they change even if you show them that they are wrong. In fact showing them that they are wrong can be called disrespect to an official which is a deportable offense here.

You will have access to your checked bag in Manila, every international flight into every country I have even been to, except the USA from Canada where you clear customs in Canada, has you pick up your bags at first port of landing then clear customs with your luggage and recheck the bags afterwards.

When I travel by air with my regulator, I disconnect the hoses put the plugs back in and put it in a hard case. I have another hard case that I pack my second stage and console into. Two cases takes up less room in the gear bag than a case large enough to hold the regs all assembled. I never have had any problems that way,

Why would you want to have your reg with you while flying? It seams to me to be just an extra weight to carry through the airport. I usually need my carry on allowance for electronics (including dive computer) that cannot be checked and essential flight stuff.

You will love Pangalo. I just did 40 or so dives there just before New Year, Nice coral and walls. Lots to see.

If you have not picked a dive operator, I dove with Philippine Fun Diver and can recommend them, good people at a fair price for the area. As you approach the beach, turn right and they are a couple hundred meters in. (My avatar is an entry from one of their boats.)

Scuba regulator is NOT allowed on board in Philippines. Whether it is being enforced or not is another matter.
Your choice, your trouble. Why bother?
Wrapped it up properly otherwise it might do serious damage to any of your fragile items inside your hard suitcase!

Always carry my regulators in my wetsuit in my checked bag. Never had a problem. You will have to check your luggage in MAnilla, so you will have the ^possibility to put them in the checked luggage locally.

I am flying on Philippine Airlines from New York to Panglao, with a connection in Manila, all on one ticket.

Are you Pinoy? I ask because if not, and flying a One-way ticket, the regulator is the least of your worries. All foreigners are required to have an Exit ticket from the Philippines, unless they have a Spousal, Balikbayan, or resident visa.... This Philippine Immigration policy is enforced by the airlines and will not print the boarding pass or allow boarding without meeting the requirements.

Are you Pinoy? I ask because if not, and flying a One-way ticket, ....

He is flying on a single ticket booking, not necessary a one way ticket.

You are correct that the airlines are pretty strict about enforcing the onward flight, not necessary a return ticket but a onward international ticket. I have an indefinite residential visa, Philippine Driver License and I get hassled by check in agents who do not know the difference between a residential visa and a tourist visa.

The concern is the batteries.
All my dive gear gets checked, including DC, GoPro and dive lights (batteries inside).
Spare batteries must be carried on.

From your link...
"That conclusion is not an edict banning airlines from allowing passengers to put their electronics in checked bags."

He is flying on a single ticket booking, not necessary a one way ticket.

You are correct that the airlines are pretty strict about enforcing the onward flight, not necessary a return ticket but a onward international ticket. I have an indefinite residential visa, Philippine Driver License and I get hassled by check in agents who do not know the difference between a residential visa and a tourist visa.

You're right...somehow my brain interpreted that as a One-Way which the OP does not state at all.... Oops, my bad.

I understand your plight.... My father is here also on a resident visa and has to deal with uninformed gate agents every time he flies in....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom