Tahiti?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That is a long (probably boring) story and and not dive related.I would have to reveal too much about my mysterious (again read boring) past to tell it.

My wife and I have been to Costa Rica 14 times and she got certified there. Our last two trips were as tour guides. There are so many cool fun things to do there and if you like wildlife, it's pretty hard to beat. The major drawback is things are quite spread out. Diving wise, it's all on the pacific side. Usually it's impossible to dive the Caribbean side because of zero visibility. Being farmers, we have only been able to travel during winter, so we haven't gotten to the Bat Islands, during winter the seas are too rough for the trip. Our diving has been mostly the Catalinas and Isla Cana. If you're looking for beautiful coral reefs, you'll be disappointed. It's all rock reefs with sponge and corals growing on them. If you're looking for massive schools of fish, especially big fish, you'll be happy indeed. The visibility is not like the Caribbean, a nutrient poor environment. This is a very nutrient rich environment, so visibility is not like the Caribbean. We have seen a whale shark, mantas, lots of humpbacks from the boat but never while in the water. One trip we heard humpbacks throughout every dive. White tips on every dive.

Above the water, as said before, there are ziplines everywhere. But more importantly the recovery of the wildlife has been impressive. Our first trip was January 2001. At that time you could see scarlet macaws in two national parks. Now, pretty much anywhere on the southern part of the Pacific coast there are macaws. In 2001 it was unheard of to see wild cats. Three of our last five trips we've seen wild cats. Toucans are all over the lowlands.

Some of our favorite places are: Tabacon Hot Springs, our favorite place to stay there is Arenal Observatory Lodge. A great stop on the trip from the airport to Arenal is La Paz Waterfall Gardens. The gardens are impressive, but for us the highlight is the small zoo they have made up of rescued animals that can't be returned to the wild and, of course, the waterfalls. Corcovado Adventures Tent Camp is on the northern tip of Corcovado NP. They offer guided tours of the park that are worth every penny. They also offer snorkeling or diving at Isla Del Cano, a part of Corcovado NP. San Gerardo De Dota is a small village on the Savegre river at high elevation. Bird watching is the main attraction here with the resplendent quetzal being the main attraction. Near San Jose and the airport, the Doka Estate is the largest coffee plantation in the country and they offer an interesting tour. In Guanacaste, the northern part of the Pacific coast, Rincon De La Vieja NP is interesting for it's volcanic activity and a couple of places with fun adventures. Hacienda Guaichipelin has a zipline and other activities, the highlight being white water tubing. Buena Vista Lodge has a zipline and a half mile long water slide. In Palos Verdes NP they offer boat tours with an incredible amount of wildlife. Barra Honda NP has a cave that they offer tours of. This is not for the faint of heart, the entry is a climb down an absolutely vertical 60' ladder!!! The Catalina Islands are off of Playa Potrero, the diving can be spectacular. This is also the access point for the Bat Islands, but I can't comment on them. Don't do a trip to Costa Rica without renting a car!

Back
Top Bottom