Contingency Plan for Anilao (other macro areas?)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ladiver33

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi! We are two macro / muck lovers and were lucky to find $500-ish r/t flights to Manila a few weeks ago. Made arrangements for a week worth of diving in Anilao. So excited!

We are scheduled to leave in 4 weeks and very much realize that's a lot of time between now and then for all sorts of things to happen w/ Taal. Having been stuck in Bali in the past due to a volcano, we wanted to at least have a contingency plan of sorts. Our flight has a stop-over in Tokyo, so if worst came to worst - we could have the ability to re-route to another destination in the Philippines or in SE Asia. We are crossing fingers for everyone in the region but also wanted to ask if anyone could recommend for some other great muck/macro diving areas in either Philippines or SE Asia.

If diving was halted around Anilao but MNL was open for business, we found flights to Bali for $250 r/t and could head to Amed/Tulamben. Not too shabby of an option with great diving BUT we have been many times.Maybe Mabul in Malaysia?

Any ideas or insight into alternative macro sites would be greatly appreciated...Thanks!

1. Just wait and see.
2. Dumaguete(Dauin) is an option but you need to fly into Cebu City directly instead of changing flight in Manila.
3. Lembeh in Indonesia via whatever suit you.
4. Koh Lanta or LoB in Thailand.

Good luck.

End of feb would be perfect for Dauin in the Phils or Ambon in indonesia.
Lembeh would be okay.
I would not recommend Tulamben at that period,, the most rainy period of the year... (that said december was particularly dry)
Mabul is clearly a step down.

1. Just wait and see.

This.

At this point, there shouldn't be any major impact to Anilao diving. I can let you know for sure after next weekend, as I'll be down there myself.
The biggest impact to the area so far is Ash Fall, and that's mostly just an inconvenience as far as being a visitor.

Not sure why Centrals says you must go to Dumaguete/Dauin via Cebu. It may be preferable, as an easier airport, but there are certainly also flights from Manila to Dumaguete. Use those if you already have a non-changeable flight into Manila?

I'm headed to Dumaguette on Feb 1 and then to Anilao on Feb 12. I'm hoping everything will be OK by then (I was twice on Bali when Agung was threatening so I might be perhaps a bit overly optimistic both for me and for the Filipinos who live around Mt. Taal). (My flight is into Manila on Jan 29; I don't think I can change it to Cebu City since it would mean an airline change. But maybe who knows?) I'm thinking about contingencies. I'm assuming I can make it to Manila and then eventually to Dumaguette and back. Thinking Puerto Galera might be an option--at least it's a bit farther than Anilao is. Was perhaps kicking myself for not getting travel insurance, but remembered that volcanic activity is generally not a covered problem.

Hi! We are two macro / muck lovers and were lucky to find $500-ish r/t flights to Manila a few weeks ago. Made arrangements for a week worth of diving in Anilao. So excited!

We are scheduled to leave in 4 weeks and very much realize that's a lot of time between now and then for all sorts of things to happen w/ Taal. Having been stuck in Bali in the past due to a volcano, we wanted to at least have a contingency plan of sorts. Our flight has a stop-over in Tokyo, so if worst came to worst - we could have the ability to re-route to another destination in the Philippines or in SE Asia. We are crossing fingers for everyone in the region but also wanted to ask if anyone could recommend for some other great muck/macro diving areas in either Philippines or SE Asia.

If diving was halted around Anilao but MNL was open for business, we found flights to Bali for $250 r/t and could head to Amed/Tulamben. Not too shabby of an option with great diving BUT we have been many times.Maybe Mabul in Malaysia?

Any ideas or insight into alternative macro sites would be greatly appreciated...Thanks!
If you have to look for another destination , Lembh Strait is my all time favorite muck/macro place of all time. Every bit as good, and better, than Anilao IMO. Dumaguete is really nice, too.

FT:
Not sure why Centrals says you must go to Dumaguete/Dauin via Cebu. It may be preferable, as an easier airport, but there are certainly also flights from Manila to Dumaguete. Use those if you already have a non-changeable flight into Manila?
The flight to Manila has been booked.
If the plane can land in Manila then Anilao should be fine as it is a lot closer to the volcanoe.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom