Thoughts on diving in the middle of dental root canal?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There has been lots of discussion on diving after root canals are done. I contacted DAN and they provided me the information on diving AFTER the root canal is done. We even spoke about diving between stages of the root canal, but admittedly there is a lack of evidence based information.

To answer the question some of you have: Why can't I just wait until it's completely done? Because I love to dive so if I don't have to miss out I'd prefer not. Will I die from not diving? No, but I will feel like I may. And yes, blah blah...safest thing to do is to wait until the end, etc etc. My question is how many of you have had experience diving between steps? Anyone had a dentist provide them a recommendation (no, never dive between steps or yes, it's okay). My dentist doesn't know. DAN is unsure.

Upper molar, so more difficult
Was told 2-3 steps

Has anyone dove with a temporary cap on?
Anyone dove between the steps?

Thanks for anyone who has experience!
Just read title of post....where did you find a dentist that is cool with you getting out of the chair, going diving and coming back to the chair? He/she have a huge aquarium you offered to clean during the procedure?

Spoke to an oral surgeon today. He said that once the nerve has been removed, cleaned and filled, go dive. No issues whatsoever. Get the crown later.

Reactions: Doc
Been having a scroll through this post and thought I’d chip in. I’m a dentist who dives and has a number of patients who also dive. If you have had the root canal started and are in no pain at atmospheric pressure then I would be very surprised if you had any issues diving. I work with a huge variety of patients from people with perfect oral hygiene to those with none. I know many divers who if I were to take peri apical radiographs of their molars- I would be very busy doing root canal treatments ( however as they have no symptoms they going diving in blissful ignorance). I’ll do my best to answer any questions for any interested parties.

There is no different procedure for that.
Between root canal treatments there are meds in your tooth, it isn't completly filled, also a temporal filling on the tooth crown will be made to close the canal between fillings.
That temporal "cap" is okay to chew on etc. but the root canal is still "hollow" and being treated with meds.
In the last session of a root canal treatment the root canal will be filled and closed of with a crown filling.
Many times the tooth is weakend by the root canal treatment or gets weak with time and needs a artifical crown put on it.
Sounds like different procedures. And maybe a distinction between recommended and necessary.

I verified with my dentist that after each treatment my tooth was sound and good to go for several months. Never half baked, you must come back tomorrow to have the next step. I could dive (or just carry on normal life) at any point. Note that the "second" treatment is something new to me. My prior dentist only did one treatment before suggesting a crown as the next step.

In my current case a crown is an optional "highly recommended especially if you have insurance" last step. No insurance means it would not happen. No crown required. I go back next week for an inspection to determine if a crown is warranted. I claim the answer will be YES since it is recommended (but not necessary) practice and it is covered by my insurance.

YMMV

Sounds like different procedures. And maybe a distinction between recommended and necessary.

I verified with my dentist that after each treatment my tooth was sound and good to go for several months. Never half baked, you must come back tomorrow to have the next step.

So's mine but the OP was specifically asking about diving with a temporary cap, i.e. about the procedure where you do come back tomorrow for the next step.

One think I’m now worried about after any dental work is sinus pain. I had a crown installed on a sinus lift and bone graft and implant. The surgery and implant went well I was booked for a flight the day of my release to dive after the implant was done even. Which all went well.
Ok a year later they fitted me with my temporary crown which is really nothing no shot even for some reason I developed moderate to severe sinus pain in that area enough that I postponed an upcoming trip. It did clear up two weeks later but there was no way i could have made a dive.so beyond possible infections or issues directly with a root canal Im now just as concerned about sinus issues. My permanent crown is now on I’m headed to sea soon.

Just read title of post....where did you find a dentist that is cool with you getting out of the chair, going diving and coming back to the chair? He/she have a huge aquarium you offered to clean during the procedure?
typical procedure is 2 visits. i had one last 4

In the middle of a root canal? Even if you find a dentist that dives also, I would think that drill would interfere with your regulator.

Don't mistake the tank of Nitrox for the tank of Nitrous.

Hahahahahaha! Hahahahaha!

So I thought I'd post my experience for anyone looking for information. Many of you were super helpful and some did what I asked not to do...extrapolate information without data or first hand experience. Here's my personal experience for anyone looking for information in the future and remember, every experience is different.

I contacted DAN prior to the start of the procedure. Limited information, but what they had they sent me. It basically stated that it should be fine to dive so long as the dentist did a good job. LOL. Very obscure information.

Spoke to 3 dentists who really had no idea about diving injuries, but after I explained the worry about air or not being sealed they assured me it shouldn't be an issue.

Procedure one: Goodbye roots. Three roots were drilled out. It was packed and sealed with a temporary cap. I dove 1 week later. No issues at all! Yippee!

Waited two weeks for procedure two...

Procedure two: Time to be fitted for a real cap. Molds were taken and a second temporary cap was put on. I dove four days later. No issues at all!! Yippee!

Waited three weeks for procedure three...

Procedure three: Time for my permanent cap. Took just a few minutes and the permanent cap was put on. Dove three days later and, you guessed it, no issues at all!!

While there is not a lot of information out there, all information from DAN and dentists state that so long things are sealed it should be fine. Several others posted first hand accounts which stated they also had no issues.

I dove between procedures because taking off 4-6 weeks from diving seemed worse then some tooth squeeze and was worth the risk. In talking to others the risk is minimal, but there is a risk. I had zero issues and did as much as research as possible. (There were threats by some of massive infections coursing through my body and killing me because I was stupid to keep diving and in speaking to DAN they have no such case ever reported)

So happy diving between tooth root procedures! Be safe and remember that this is just one account of one experience.

Back
Top Bottom