Replacing battery in Mares Icon HD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah looks like an easy $45 swap. I figured there would be an oring kit or something to go along with it. Now if i could somehow find a way to order a new comfort wrist pad!

Why not cut down an old neoprene mask strap cover and use that?

Why not cut down an old neoprene mask strap cover and use that?

not a bad idea. I’m trying some 3mm scraps doubled over and cemented together, but they tend to rip easily. I’ll give the mask strap idea a shot

So it turns out something was wrong with my ICON that went beyond a simple battery replacement. Upon returning from Bonaire, I had a voicemail from the shop and learned that Mares had upgraded my 8 year old Icon HD & Transmitter to a brand new, unopened Genius & Transmitter. I was not expecting a customer service experience like that at all. It's not like my warranty had expired 2 weeks ago.....Kinda wish I had just purchased the Aqualung 770 right before I went away now lol.

Wow. You sent in an eight year old Icon and got back a new Genius with another transmitter at no cost - and you are complaining? I must be missing something. You are wishing you spent a bundle on a different computer because you now have a free upgraded one from Mares? Geese, I'd be happy to trade my Icon for a brand new Genius with an additional transmitter.

Not complaining at all. I was blown away by the customer service of Mares. I wasn’t expecting anything along these lines. I dropped my Icon off assuming I would just be paying for a battery & some O rings; I did not receive my Icon back in time for my Bonaire trip, so I purchased an Aqualung i770r & transmitter.

Obviously if I had received the icon/Genius in time for my trip, I would not have purchased the i770. But after making 17 dives with the aqualung, I am Happy with it. I will most likely sell the Genius & transmitter unused. And stick with the i770 since I like the smaller form factor and battery life compared to the the Mares (over 17 dives in 5 days, I never had to charge the Aqualung - my Icon would use 10-20% of its battery per dive, and would need to be charged nightly). The Mares, with the comfort pad, is more comfortable on my bare wrist however.

Ah - that “wish I had” was supposed to be “wish I hadn’t...” sorry for the type-o

Back
Top Bottom