Healthways Scubair

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Have you checked the Trident catalog?

Found one the right diameter on the Bay. Inhalation effort is very good. If anyone wants one foe their old Scubair I picked up an extra if you are interested. Now to deal with the exhalation effort. Although with the size of the exhalation port I think it`s maxed out.

Nice that you found a replacement, was it a generic diaphragm listed by size only or was it described for a particular regulator?

It was listed as an Osprey IDI 2nd stage replacement. 3.25 in. in diameter. Just happened to fit perfectly. I`ll probably never dive with the Scubair but I always like to have my stuff work. I collect toys too and the all work. I take that back, there are a few battery operated toys I have that have given up the ghost over the years. I don`t collect them anymore either!:banghead:

I am interested in the second diaphragm, I have a project that I need one for. The ones I have measure a little less than 3.25, closer to 3.15 but I may be able to trim it. PM me if you would like to sell it.

Found one the right diameter on the Bay. Inhalation effort is very good. If anyone wants one foe their old Scubair I picked up an extra if you are interested. Now to deal with the exhalation effort. Although with the size of the exhalation port I think it`s maxed out.
Perryed,

Looking at your regulator's second photo, it appears that your Scubair is one that had a double mushroom exhaust. Healthways got criticized for their exhaust design, with some divers saying that it breathed wet is a high current when water entered the exhaust tube and upset the exhaust mushroom valve. Healthways then redesigned their exhaust system slightly by placing a very short tube on the exhaust, and a second mushroom wagon wheel and exhaust mushroom. To allow this Scubair to breath easier, remove one of the mushroom valves. On my Scubair II J, I took off the outside one and left the inside one. That gives a gap which allows the mushroom to open in air rather than exposed to water, which means the entire mushroom will lift rather than just often side. The exhaust is still smaller than modern regulators, but will be adequate in all but very high demand at depth. I have used mine in the Clackamas River in high current, but the depth was only 22 feet, without problems.

You might want to replace the exhaust mushroom valve too, and you can probably do that by finding a silicone mushroom valve for it. Where would you find one? Well, all the semi-dry and dry snorkels now have a silicone mushroom valve which is the correct diameter below the mouthpiece to blow the snorkel dry. But don't buy a snorkel at a retail store or LDS for that valve, as it's not worth paying $10-20 to get it. Go to your local Goodwill store, and it is likely you can find one for $1.99 or so.

SeaRat

Perryed,

Looking at your regulator's second photo, it appears that your Scubair is one that had a double mushroom exhaust. Healthways got criticized for their exhaust design, with some divers saying that it breathed wet is a high current when water entered the exhaust tube and upset the exhaust mushroom valve. Healthways then redesigned their exhaust system slightly by placing a very short tube on the exhaust, and a second mushroom wagon wheel and exhaust mushroom. To allow this Scubair to breath easier, remove one of the mushroom valves. On my Scubair II J, I took off the outside one and left the inside one. That gives a gap which allows the mushroom to open in air rather than exposed to water, which means the entire mushroom will lift rather than just often side. The exhaust is still smaller than modern regulators, but will be adequate in all but very high demand at depth. I have used mine in the Clackamas River in high current, but the depth was only 22 feet, without problems.

You might want to replace the exhaust mushroom valve too, and you can probably do that by finding a silicone mushroom valve for it. Where would you find one? Well, all the semi-dry and dry snorkels now have a silicone mushroom valve which is the correct diameter below the mouthpiece to blow the snorkel dry. But don't buy a snorkel at a retail store or LDS for that valve, as it's not worth paying $10-20 to get it. Go to your local Goodwill store, and it is likely you can find one for $1.99 or so.

SeaRat

Thanks John. I`ll check it out. I believe I have an unused dry snorkel around somewhere Always worth a try!

I went ahead and took out one of the exhaust valve and replaced the other with a modern silicone one and it made a hell of a difference. Did not know they were stacked like that even though I had cleaned and closely examined this reg. The old Scubair breaths very good now. Just as good as pretty much anything out there. Still a slightly higher exhalation effort but not bad at all. Thanks John, you`ve helped resuscitate an old regulator. Now if that would work for me...…………….:):rolleyes:

I use one of our 5 snorkels for the valve and replaced it with the Scubair one. A no cost effective swap!

Back
Top Bottom