Oceanic Geo 1.0 Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi all,

I have an opportunity to purchase an Oceanic Geo 1.0 for cheap ($100), and I'm wondering if there's any functional reason not to. I can't find any info on firmware upgrades, or on whether the Geo 2.0 interface cable works on the original version (it looks like it would). Any thoughts, cautions or wisdom to share?

Thanks for any help,
Eric

Hi all,

I have an opportunity to purchase an Oceanic Geo 1.0 for cheap ($100), and I'm wondering if there's any functional reason not to. I can't find any info on firmware upgrades, or on whether the Geo 2.0 interface cable works on the original version (it looks like it would). Any thoughts, cautions or wisdom to share?

Thanks for any help,
Eric

I can't comment on the Geo 1, but I have a geo 2 and an aeris Manta (same computer, different name), both from 2006/7 that still work fine as back-up computers. They seem to have been very durable as long as the depth sensor wasn't defective. My Manta has probably 2000 dives on it.

Jackie

If it works, it works. The only complaint that seemed common with the Geo 1.0 is that the battery life wasn't very good, which could be avoided by using Panasonic batteries. I had a 2.0 and had no problems with it for around 9 years before I messed up a battery change and flooded it (pro-tip: change the o-ring once in a while).

Hi all,

Thanks for any help,
Eric
From what I recall, the Geo 1.0 and initial Manta version (same computer, Oceanic and Aeris were two divisions of same company), as well as a related free dive computer from that time (F10?) (~2009) had common battery replacement issues. Basically, when the original battery was replaced by the user there was some likelihood that the replacement battery would wear out in a very short time, sometimes only a few days. I had this issue with a Manta, and after going through a half dozen batteries in just a couple of months, had it back twice to the manufacturer to deal with it. The problem was purportedly some sort of static electricity issue, and they claimed the fix was some sort of minor hardware modification that they finally did the second time, for $150. I still use this computer and have gone through a handful of battery changes in the last 9 years, without further issue. The Geo 2.0 as I recall, incorporated the fix. There was plenty of discussion of this issue at the time here on SB, and on spearfishing forums.

I would say if the current owner has been able to reliably replace batteries in the 10 years since this computer was new, it's probably OK. I like my Manta. I don't know what the prospects for even paid repair would be at this point, as Oceanic changed hands a few years ago. From what I recall, the PC cable was the same for the entire series of computers.

The Oceanic Geo 2.0 was released something like 10 years ago. The 1.0 is ancient - I'd personally just pick up something more modern. Even brand new Aqualung i200's are only something like $200, and Mares Pucks are around the same.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom