Thoughts on diving in the middle of dental root canal?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I’m in the middle of one right now. Doc began the process a couple of weeks ago, and covered with a temp filling and wanted me back in 4/5 wks to take a look and finish it off.

I have had a dive trip to Mexico planned for over 6 months. Doc said it would be no issue, and just come back afterwards to complete the process.

I had been in the water twice since that initial work. And had no issues.

I am planning to bring some temp filling compound with me since my dive trip is in Mexico, and I have no idea what I will be able to fine there if I have a problem.

Reactions: Doc
I've had one crown. I had a trip scheduled in the middle - while it had a temporary cap and final crown was being made. IIRC, it was a trip for CCR Mod 2 training, so normoxic depths. Never caused me a problem. Ymmv, of course.

The part I’d worry about is initially when you are having problems with the tooth. Once the infection is gone and the root is removed and sealed, the cap finishes it cosmetically.

Now you may pop the temporary cap, but I’ve done done that without diving as well as with. Be prepared. I wouldn’t, however, dive with an ongoing infection.

I am not a dentist, nor played one on tv, but have spent way more than my share of time in the chair.

Just my two cents, ymmv.

Bob

Reactions: Doc
There has been lots of discussion on diving after root canals are done. I contacted DAN and they provided me the information on diving AFTER the root canal is done. We even spoke about diving between stages of the root canal, but admittedly there is a lack of evidence based information.

To answer the question some of you have: Why can't I just wait until it's completely done? Because I love to dive so if I don't have to miss out I'd prefer not. Will I die from not diving? No, but I will feel like I may. And yes, blah blah...safest thing to do is to wait until the end, etc etc. My question is how many of you have had experience diving between steps? Anyone had a dentist provide them a recommendation (no, never dive between steps or yes, it's okay). My dentist doesn't know. DAN is unsure.

Upper molar, so more difficult
Was told 2-3 steps

Has anyone dove with a temporary cap on?
Anyone dove between the steps?

Thanks for anyone who has experience!
went diving mid process and no issues id be a little more cautious if traveling to a third world country to dive in case you had issues but locally id go diving

Thanks Caveeagle, jgttrey and lermontov. That's exactly what I was wondering. I agree it's best to be cautious and I likely will, but was just curious. My doctor just didn't know and I thought it odd DAN wasn't sure either. It's a common procedure so I would've thought someone would have an official DAN recommendation about a temp cap. He was able to find one member who experienced issues with cotton placed, but it was pain related. I appreciate your first hand experience. I do plan on following up on this post whether I did dive or not. Right now I'm trying to get all the information I can rather than the speculation of sinuses exploding, caps whipping off in to the abyss, etc. I know there were some who suggested I not dive with an infection. I have been diving with an infection without issue. There is not a crack in my tooth so no problem. Thanks to antibiotics it's much better.

Thanks again for your experience and it's interesting one doctor thought it was fine. I do wish there were a few more case studies or data from DAN.

I did with temporary caps, with absolutely no problems.

Thanks Caveeagle, jgttrey and lermontov. That's exactly what I was wondering. I agree it's best to be cautious and I likely will, but was just curious. My doctor just didn't know and I thought it odd DAN wasn't sure either. It's a common procedure so I would've thought someone would have an official DAN recommendation about a temp cap. He was able to find one member who experienced issues with cotton placed, but it was pain related. I appreciate your first hand experience. I do plan on following up on this post whether I did dive or not. Right now I'm trying to get all the information I can rather than the speculation of sinuses exploding, caps whipping off in to the abyss, etc. I know there were some who suggested I not dive with an infection. I have been diving with an infection without issue. There is not a crack in my tooth so no problem. Thanks to antibiotics it's much better.

Thanks again for your experience and it's interesting one doctor thought it was fine. I do wish there were a few more case studies or data from DAN.
Unlikely to ever happen as the group of potential subjects would be too small and difficult to get together to carry out any studies.

Out of thousands of divers, it is likely that only a very small fraction will be undergoing dental work with an even smaller fraction undergoing root canal work. Organising enough of them together to get enough divers to form a statistically significant study would be near impossible.

having done it - I would advise against it

Could be a very hurtful experience. Due to the combination of a hollow tooth sealed with a temporary cap you gonna experience negative pressure inside the tooth while going down.
The negativ pressure could be hurtful or even suck air inside the tooth.
If air got sucked in while going down it will build up a overpressure while going up.
Which again may hurt or blows the cap of.

I heard of some dentists that blocked the hole with wadding to allow the tooth to "breath".
This isn't as clean as using cavit but no pressure can build up.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom