Volcano Taal Erupting. Manila Airport Closed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

notice.jpg

Update from Alabang (South Metro Manila): Ash fall and sulfur odor experienced from approx 4pm Sun, Jan 12, continuing over night. Ash plume moving Northeast off the eastern coast of Luzon Island. Clean up of fallen ash began this morning. Classes were suspended today and possibly tomorrow as well.

Many residents remain evacuated from communities on Taal's inner island and immediately surrounding Taal Lake.

Earthquake swarms (frequent volcanic tremors) still continue with average magnitude of 2.4 with occasional 3.3+ magnitude earthquakes and a frequency of every 5 to 15 mins. Magma was ejected from Taal for almost 2 hours very early in the morning, but has subsided for now.

Taal Volcano remains at Alert Level 4, meaning that an explosive eruption is possible within hours or days.

At this point, Puerto Galera is not affected, and the impacts to Anilao appear to be Ash Fall which will require clean up.

Source: Me, resident.

Update from Alabang (South Metro Manila): Ash fall and sulfur odor experienced from approx 4pm Sun, Jan 12, continuing over night. Ash plume moving Northeast off the eastern coast of Luzon Island. Clean up of fallen ash began this morning. Classes were suspended today and possibly tomorrow as well.

Many residents remain evacuated from communities on Taal's inner island and immediately surrounding Taal Lake.

Earthquake swarms (frequent volcanic tremors) still continue with average magnitude of 2.4 with occasional 3.3+ magnitude earthquakes and a frequency of every 5 to 15 mins. Magma was ejected from Taal for almost 2 hours very early in the morning, but has subsided for now.

Taal Volcano remains at Alert Level 4, meaning that an explosive eruption is possible within hours or days.

At this point, Puerto Galera is not affected, and the impacts to Anilao appear to be Ash Fall which will require clean up.

Source: Me, resident.

Thank you. Please keep us updated. Continuing to pray for you all.

I was in Anilao on Sunday.
Didn't realiseTaal has erupted till sunset when you could "admire" the lightings above the volcano.
Tremors and ashfalls the whole night.
At sunrise, thick layer of ash and ash still falling like a weak snowfall.
In the resort I stayed, clean up started and sone people went diving.
Returned to MNL by car. Ash dust everywhere. In Bauan, truks with people being evacuated. Batangas to Lipa comparatively less dusty than south of MNL.
Yesterday, at airport, long long lines...all flights delayed but managed to leave after a 6 hour delay...
Witnessed the result of Pinatubo, you don't want that for Taal

If there is a "major" eruption, it is feared to be worse than Mt. Pinatubo.

Do you have a source for that? As a resident, I've been following this extremely close, absorbing all I formation I can find and have yet to see this claim.

I'm not saying it's false, but there's already been plenty of misinformation spreading around out here.

As far as I understand, with the limited information available from volcanologists, the magma chamber under Taal is smaller than Pinatubo. Although it is closer to Metro Manila than Pinatubo, being surrounded by Taal Lake, it has a sort of built in buffer for magma

Do you have a source for that? As a resident, I've been following this extremely close, absorbing all I formation I can find and have yet to see this claim.

I'm not saying it's false, but there's already been plenty of misinformation spreading around out here.

As far as I understand, with the limited information available from volcanologists, the magma chamber under Taal is smaller than Pinatubo. Although it is closer to Metro Manila than Pinatubo, being surrounded by Taal Lake, it has a sort of built in buffer for magma

I think that it is more a matter of people being afraid and speculating.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom