Trip to Roatan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shadow5868

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have an upcoming trip to Roatan in April at Anthony’s Key Resort. Can anyone tell me about any hidden fees. Like costs of drinks. Sodas,beer, mixed drinks, etc.
Also is it safe to go to town? Is there any kind of grocery store nearby? Can you take stuff onto the Resort like maybe a case of beer or soda to keep in your room. I am trying to figure how much cash I will need to take. Thanks everyone.

I haven't stayed at Anthony's so can't help you there.

What town do you want to go to? It is safe in WestEnd and Coxen Hole is safe during the day. As anywhere though, things can happen. I'd stick with WestEnd myself, which in fact, I have always done.

I have an upcoming trip to Roatan in April at Anthony’s Key Resort. Also is it safe to go to town?
If you have not already done so, I would encourage you to do some independent research on the security situation in Honduras. Even though the relative threat level is lower in the Bay Islands, situational awareness is really important.

What town do you want to go to? It is safe in WestEnd and Coxen Hole is safe during the day. As anywhere though, things can happen. I'd stick with WestEnd myself, which in fact, I have always done.
We will be west end. Are the taxis safe?

It’s been a couple years since I was at AKR, but as I recall, it had a very nice bar with very reasonable prices. Not sure why you’d want to buy your own alcohol, unless you were going to drink a ton, which is not a good idea anyway when doing repetitive diving.

I did not leave AKR the week I was there, other than to go do the shark dive, which involved a trip into town. There was nothing in town that made me want to linger. Roatan is not like Cozumel or Bonaire — definitely not a place to go strolling around.

It’s been a couple years since I was at AKR, but as I recall, it had a very nice bar with very reasonable prices. Not sure why you’d want to buy your own alcohol, unless you were going to drink a ton, which is not a good idea anyway when doing repetitive diving.

I did not leave AKR the week I was there, other than to go do the shark dive, which involved a trip into town. There was nothing in town that made me want to linger. Roatan is not like Cozumel or Bonaire — definitely not a place to go strolling around.

Disagree. I like strolling in West End.

Perhaps you are referring to Coxen Hole?

I spent 3 weeks in West End in July.

I felt fine taking "collectivo" taxis. These aren't the buses: You just flag a cab going by, ask if it's headed your direction, then hop in with whatever passengers are already there.

West End was fine, though I tend not to stay out really late.

That said, it's pretty obvious theft is a concern. A lot of guards, armed and unarmed, hanging around various places to prevent theft/robbery.

The only theft I heard of when I was down there, though, was somebody that was drunk and left their wallet out on a bar and walked away. (And that's from a group of 20-30 people I knew down there.)

Yes they charge for mixed drinks, but the beer is reasonable at the pool happy hour. :) I stashed some mini bottles for liquor and had a grand old time LOL :) I did not leave the resort but my neighbor told me the west end was worth seeing !!!

West End is small but close and kinda cute. We only explored there once during the day when the girls didn't feel like diving. Coxen Hole - not so much. I didn't see anything in our drive through town that would make me want to go back unless it was a liquor store but pretty sure you can find that in West End. I don't think you'll have a problem bringing in a bottle or two if you wish.

If you like to snack, you may want to pack some snacks or buy them in West End. AKR doesn't serve food continuously like some of the bigger resorts you may have visited. 3 meals a day and you can grab some fruit most likely when you get back from your morning dive and that's about it back in 2017 when I was last there with the SB.

Back
Top Bottom