Liveaboard at Bahamas with additional charge on solo diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hello,

I'm thinking about going to the Bahamas this March, ideally with a liveaboard. When I try to book a cabin, these liveaboards are charging me a single occupancy fee because I'm a solo diver. It would increase the price of the trip from $1600 --> $2400.
Is it even worth it to take that liveaboard paying extra $800?? I requested the liveaboard to even share the double occupancy cabin with someone else if possible as the cabin had two single mattresses. I know it'd be awkward if I would really have to share with someone, but I think it's better than having to pay extra $800!

Any thoughts ??

There is not a surcharge for solo travelers unless you want a private cabin in which case the supplement is 65%.

Shared occupancy pricing is as follows:

Blackbeard's $995
Cat Ppalu $1,695
Aqua Cat From $2,295

To answer the solo diving question, we do allow solo diving so long as you hold the solo diver certification and also bring a spare air bottle as we don't have these available to rent.

I think it was @drbill (IIRC?) who went with Blackbeards, that was the case then, and he wasn't allowed to solo dive. So it that's an issue, double check. In fact, getting an e-mail confirming it and taking a printed copy of that e-mail might not be a bad idea.

Richard.

Yep, it was yours truly. Their main office said I could dive solo but the divemaster on board was a real pain and she said no. She departed not long after. I had a lot of fun on the Morning Star and they have single berths (not staterooms... it's like camping at sea but lots of fun. The other divers on board were more my type.

They didn't allow me to solo either. I showed up with my gear just needed a fill and was told solo was forbidden. I didn't give them a choice in my diving sidemount. Found out DM was big into GUE/DIR so that might have influenced her decisions.

This was on my second trip on Blackbeards Sea explorer. I'm going with Juliet for my next trip they so far have been very solo friendly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom