Specific hose routing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

axluba

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi all

Pretty simple questions here about hose routing. I am not trying to reinvent the wheel or come up with the next genius idea that will revolutionize diving forever but only adapt the routing to my disability.

I just bought a nice reg set for a good price at the Paris fair and I would like to get some advice on routing. I know that this is a fairly “personal preference” type of thing and that nothing will replace underwater try and error but I wouldn’t mind some input before I buy some extra hoses and elbows.

My personal condition is such that I need the BC low pressure inflator to come over my right shoulders.

I bought the mk25evo and S600 and my original idea is to use the 5th port/turret style in order to configure it as such:

- Spg hose on the left side.

- Primary routed on the vertical port going down, then under my arm, s600 fitted with a 90degree elbow. (I don’t think I’ll do the around the neck loop as I am not yet trained nor comfortable with that configuration)

- Secondary under my neck on the short hose, right side closes port to my neck

- Wing LPInflator on the right side furthest port from my neck

Question:

- Am I going on a completely wrong path?

- Would my primary routed on the vertical port going down and then under my arm interfere too much with my wing?

- Would my primary fitted with the 90 degree elbow and under my arm be a problem with a secondary on a necklace? The hose going down bumping on the secondary. (I wonder if anybody uses that under-arm/elbow/necklace-secondary config here?)

- Open to suggestions (but the reg is already bought, I know! Not too smart to ask after but I’m weak)

- Interested also in hose length/material advice as well.

Thanks everybody

I don’t understand why you need the inflator on the right and how you accomplish it?

The only way I can see you feasibly having an inflator come over your right shoulder is to have a wing with dual inflators. Unless you can get with one of the many manufacturers out there and have them custom design one for you. And I can't imagine it would be very cost-effective. You might consider just build a BP/W and using this Dive Rite dual bladder wing or something similar

Dive Rite Rec XT Wing Dual Bladder

@axluba what is the need to have it come over the right?

I don’t understand why you need the inflator on the right and how you accomplish it?

The why is fairly simple, I don’t have a left hand and I would like to avoid crossing over my body with my arm each time I use it (even if it’s not that often). It’s also not ideal to raise the inflator on the left side with my right hand the second d stage in my mouth.

The how is by having it on the right side of my wing instead of the left (iand hopefully with a good hose routing. (Hence my questions on the topic)

The only way I can see you feasibly having an inflator come over your right shoulder is to have a wing with dual inflators. Unless you can get with one of the many manufacturers out there and have them custom design one for you. And I can't imagine it would be very cost-effective. You might consider just build a BP/W and using this Dive Rite dual bladder wing or something similar

Dive Rite Rec XT Wing Dual Bladder

I think I found a manufacturer who can accommodate me with a good solution for a reasonable price

@axluba that's a pretty good reason...

On the BCD side, I assume you've sorted out what kind of BCD you need that will let the corrugated hose run on the right as well? Some backplate/wings have a center outlet which can obviously be put on either side.

As far as the hose routing. Your best bet is going to be similar to what you outlined. Secondary should be on a short hose though and go over your arm onto a necklace. You will donate your primary hose. Inflator will come off of the port right behind it. Since that is going to cock the first stage at about a 45* angle, the SPG is going to have to come out of the left, and if you aren't using something with air integration *which would probably be a lot better for this*, then I would cross clip it to your right shoulder so you don't have to reach around for it.

Hose lengths
Primary-40" with a 90* elbow
Secondary-22" with a necklace
LPI will depend on which BC you have, they usually come with a LPI hose though, so just use whatever comes with it
SPG is going to have to be at whatever length you need based on your body size, console or not, and specific BCD.

If you google Rick Allen from Nautilus Productions, he's a friend of mine who lost his left arm in a fire a few years ago. He does have a prosthetic and uses a standard bcd, but the inflator hose is quite long so he can reach it with his right hand by reaching across his chest.

The why is fairly simple, I don’t have a left hand and I would like to avoid crossing over my body with my arm each time I use it (even if it’s not that often). It’s also not ideal to raise the inflator on the left side with my right hand the second d stage in my mouth.

The how is by having it on the right side of my wing instead of the left (iand hopefully with a good hose routing. (Hence my questions on the topic)
Thought it may be something like that, I often use my right hand to operate the inflator but that won’t work for letting air out, have you considered a longer hose to move the inflator lower and using a pull dump?

Your hose routing idea should work, unfortunately it may need a few tweaks to get it right for you.

Could you just reverse the wing so that the inflator-hose and dump are on the right side? You can adjust the inflator-hose angle @ the elbow.

@axluba
that's a pretty good reason...
Haha yeah I know. Weirdly enough the need to adapt my rig pushed me toward set configurations and tweaks that are usually more the Tech divers game. In a way it pushed me to learn more about gear and options and technologies so it is good for my personal knowledge even if my diving is purely recreational and I don’t pretend to do more that have the most fun possible in the safest and most comfortable way possible.

Yes that side is progressing well thanks to a Czech manufacturer (producing among other for DIRZONE) that has been very helpful. Planning on ordering with them because they really helped me good and the price is fair.

[QUOTE="tbone1004, post: 8873618, member: 136424"][USER=512118]
As far as the hose routing. Your best bet is going to be similar to what you outlined. Secondary should be on a short hose though and go over your arm onto a necklace. You will donate your primary hose. Inflator will come off of the port right behind it. Since that is going to cock the first stage at about a 45* angle, the SPG is going to have to come out of the left, and if you aren't using something with air integration *which would probably be a lot better for this*, then I would cross clip it to your right shoulder so you don't have to reach around for it.
[/QUOTE]
Always good to hear that I wasn’t completely wrong. For the secondary, short hose is what I meant, sorry if it wasn’t clear. The SPG is the way I am going with for now because of finances. I will definitely look toward air integration later on. It will actually stay on my left as I can still use my arm to “hold” it up and look at it while I dive.

Hose lengths
Primary-40" with a 90* elbow
Secondary-22" with a necklace
LPI will depend on which BC you have, they usually come with a LPI hose though, so just use whatever comes with it
SPG is going to have to be at whatever length you need based on your body size, console or not, and specific BCD.
[/QUOTE]
Thank you very much! I will definitely use those length as a starting point!

If you google Rick Allen from Nautilus Productions, he's a friend of mine who lost his left arm in a fire a few years ago. He does have a prosthetic and uses a standard bcd, but the inflator hose is quite long so he can reach it with his right hand by reaching across his chest.
[/QUOTE]
I will look him up online. The added benefit to managing the hose on the right is I also managed to get my butt OPV on the right.

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer, sincerely! It is very helpful and allows me to progress in my thinking. The rig might take a few month to mount overall but I will definitely keep everybody up to date.
[/user][/user][/user]

Back
Top Bottom