Teric Problems

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The computer and transmitter are only 2 months old. When it failed the first time at the testing pool at the LDS, they changed the transmitter battery. No good. Then they provided a new transmitter. No good. The attached image is what I got even after a new transmitter. The computer is at Shearwater for repair. I just don't have faith in it any longer and have buyer's remorse.View attachment 560981

S...

I'm with you...I'd feel exactly the same way...not to mention camping out on someones door step until I got a full refund...look at the warranty...and review your rights...In Canada...our rights for this type of thing carry protection to the consumer...

When an LDS has to start fiddling with something brand new...that should have gone directly back to the manufacturer for full replacement...that was your first sign that all was not right...obviously the problem runs deeper than a battery...and is further indication that the LDS was poking in the dark...

Not always...but in this case...when we're made to feel like we're a captive audience...and alternatives are limited or non existent...it's long past time to search out another retailer...and another product...

Just me...but I haven't set foot into a LDS for years...there is no need to...there is no retailer/customer loyalty...it's a fairy tail...I have two US based retailers and two German based retailers...I've had them for years...100% satisfaction in both directions...and both offering ''carton at my front door service''...and what they can't do for me...I'm certified to do myself...I realize not everyone is that fortunate...but like the problem you're having now...being self reliant has many benefits...and in the long run...saves you lots of money...and time...

For the most part...other than batteries...these types of devices have no serviceable parts in them...they work until they don't...at which time they become garbage...and it's time for a replacement...however...when they're new...they're supposed to work as intended...

The best product is always the product that was purchased at a fair price...functions as intended...and serves its purpose trouble free...and not necessarily the most expensive product...with the most hype...

If we've learned nothing else on SB...we should have learned this a long time ago...

As an example...this new $$$$$$ tinker toy from Scuba Pro being any better than the best D6...or another comparable product has to offer...fahgettaboudit...my D6 leaves that monstrosity for dead...and at a fraction of the cost...

W.W...

S...

I'm with you...I'd feel exactly the same way...not to mention camping out on someones door step until I got a full refund...look at the warranty...and review your rights...In Canada...our rights for this type of thing carry protection to the consumer...

When an LDS has to start fiddling with something brand new...that should have gone directly back to the manufacturer for full replacement...that was your first sign that all was not right...obviously the problem runs deeper than a battery...and is further indication that the LDS was poking in the dark...

Not always...but in this case...when we're made to feel like we're a captive audience...and alternatives are limited or non existent...it's long past time to search out another retailer...and another product...

Just me...but I haven't set foot into a LDS for years...there is no need to...there is no retailer/customer loyalty...it's a fairy tail...I have two US based retailers and two German based retailers...I've had them for years...100% satisfaction in both directions...and what they can't do for me...I'm certified to do myself...I realize not everyone is that fortunate...but like the problem you're having now...being self reliant has many benefits...and in the long run...saves you lots of money...

For the most part...other than batteries...these types of devices have no serviceable parts in them...they work until they don't...at which time they become garbage...and it's time for a replacement...however...when they're new...they're supposed to work as intended...

W.W...
Agreed to an extent - as AI is a 2 part system, it's logical to first trouble shoot a bit on the transmitter first before assuming the DC is the issue . So... replacing the transmitter battery and then trying a different transmitter were the correct actions in this case.

However, when that did not resolve the situation, I would have asked for a new unit from the LDS (or ultimately SW) - it's unclear if the OP actually requested a replacement from the LDS or SW?

If an item gets sent back to the SW service center to diagnose a defect, it's only logical that they'd repair it, if possible, vs replace it. Did the OP contact Shearwater directly? They are a simple phone call away and unlike most businesses these days, a human actually picks up and speaks to you!

For the most part...other than batteries...these types of devices have no serviceable parts in them...they work until they don't...at which time they become garbage...and it's time for a replacement...
That's not true... there are parts that can be replaced in these units (e.g., pressure sensors, screens, main boards, etc.,) and, if replaced under warranty or cost effective to fix, there is no need to assume you need discard the unit for a new one.

That's not true... there are parts that can be replaced in these units (e.g., pressure sensors, screens, main boards, etc.,) and, if replaced under warranty or cost effective to fix, there is no need to assume you need discard the unit for a new one.

J...

That's replaceable...not serviceable...and if anything should be replaced on a brand new device...it should be the complete device...as the device is only as good as the sum of the total parts...

The root cause needs to be examined...and that could go back to the quality of the individual components...assembly/testing/QC...

If the business practise is to replace individual sub-components until the unit fires up...the business practice is no business practice at all...

What are we doing...searching for the burned out Christmas tree bulb...this is 2019...not 1956...

W.W...

Had my 1st Teric also bit broken (was 1st ones they made). Compass was showing wrong numbers and getting stuck. Had to send back and 2nd one works without problems. Other shearwaters (5 pieces (petrels 1&2's)) have been working without problems. AI is really reliable compared to Suunto's one. Never drops connection (using 2 transmitters, other one is yellow).

I have had to get two bits of Shearwater kit ‘serviced’. Parts of a rebreather. In both cases this actually meant they were completely replaced. While picking up the CCR I had a chat with the service bloke and a good look a time the internals of a Teric. I may be wrong, but I got the impression that the plan is to basically replace everything except the case, maybe the screen.

Consider the economics. The build cost of the main board in a Teric, Perdix or any vaguely similar dive computer is likely to be maybe $20 to $50. For reasons of space the cpu is likely to be a ball grid array. Reworking those is very difficult, time consuming and requires a skilled technician. Once the board is reworked it needs testing. More time etc. If these are repairs for a customer the customer is kept waiting.

My old trusty Suunto Zoop worked like a champ right out of the box...maybe I should have stuck with that than the allure of a pricey new bug-ridden DC. :(
I suggest you buy another brand and sell this one. Despite what others have said, if I was to judge from the above, your mind is already made up and you just won't be happy with it.
It will be easy to sell. It's a highly regarded computer.

My old trusty Suunto Zoop worked like a champ right out of the box...maybe I should have stuck with that than the allure of a pricey new bug-ridden DC. :(
Comparing a Zoop to a Teric is like comparing a Lada to a Tesla.

As others have said, SWs customer service and products are legendary. If you still have problems with this, I suggest you contact Lynn at Shearwater directly. My guess is that they will intervene directly.

My experience is similar to others... I have an original Petral that showed a fault after a battery change. I contacted them over a long weekend, and got a reply. A tech contacted me first thing Tuesday AM and had me ship it to them. I let them know I was leaving in a week on a trip. I had it back in 3 days, all new guts, a new screen, a new case, a spare set of straps, a T-shirt, some stickers and a note saying "Sorry!"

My wife got a Perdix a couple of years ago and it's been flawless.

Having said that, we still toss an old Quantum in our bags before we go away as insurance.

Back
Top Bottom