Indoor Diving Lake

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Paradocs1111

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Does anyone think that a indoor water park designed by scuba divers for scuba diving, lessons, birthday parties, year round diving, night diving,aquatic life and tropical fish, caves, tunnels, 40-50 foot depth, multiple linked lakes, sand, gravel bottom, metal detecting games, photography, attractions, rentals, scuba shop, cafe....would you dive here? Inland diving is so seasonal, visibility is poor or variable, pools like Nemo 33, Y40 are very gymnasium like, my vision is aquatic life filled, indoor lakes. Educational, recreational, propagate the sport, Let me know thoughts, pros, cons.

I have dreamed of buying a big deep quarry and putting cool stuff it in, but this would be better, if it could be warm water, Year round. Not sure what kind of fish would want to live in a dive tank.
There could be pointy rocks on bottom to encourage neutral buoyancy. Mirrors on walls to check trim. Pools generally require chemicals to keep out parasites, algae slime mold ooze etc, so I’m not sure fish would do well.
If somehow can do freshwater without chemicals: Koi and water lilies. If can do saltwater, kelp forest and sunfish, sea grass and sea horses.
A billionaire could do it, but what would people pay for upkeep?

Won't work. There just won't be the volume of traffic to ever come close to covering the construction. Bonne De Terre mine is way bigger than you are looking to do, I don't see people getting rich off it. And there was no real construction costs, the hole was already there.

Your best bet would be to target dive shops looking for year round training. With a deep end that is deeper than the rest. That is if you can find enough dive shops that are struggling to find a heated pool in your area now. Still I see it struggle to keep up with operating costs. That is just operating costs, not covering the cost of construction.

You'll do 3 birthday parties a year. It will be unused for 5 days a week. You will never have a free weekend as you will be working your pool every weekend because that is the only time you will find paying customers. Insurance costs will be huge.

Not that far from nemo33 we have Todi, you can check it at todi.be but it’s Dutch German or French. There are fish in a old mine building, because of that you can’t bring your own gear. Some people like it there, most go there once to have experienced it but won’t go back soon.

Any aquatic life means no water quality ability other than filters. Might be hard to maintain clarity.

Not sure you could make enough money to cover the YUGE cost of construction and maintenance.

There are special deep scuba pools available. Check out google.

Nemo 33 is pretty well known
Nemo 33 - Wikipedia
Aquarium’s are able to keep clear water...

44117C30-5D43-47B2-8AB3-373FB50E8E46.jpeg
Aquarium’s are able to keep clear water...
Note that is $49 Million, as numbers are “in thousands of dollars”
Boston Aquarium is $31 for adults.
Big Fish tank in center is a complex ecosystem to maintain.

I work in a public aquarium. I don't think that building and maintaining a "dive-only" large exhibit would be fiscally feasible. Perhaps a large, deep swimming pool (no animals) would be possible, but the life support/water quality equipment/staff and and husbandry staff to maintain a large saltwater exhibit is very expensive. Purchasing the animals is also expensive. Half a million dollars is about what you would expect to stock a 270,000 gallon Indo-pacific exhibit. That is a fairly small "big" exhibit.

Back
Top Bottom