Travel regs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I own a couple of sets of Mikron regs and love them for travel. Paired with MiFlex hoses, they are light and compact. I had forgotten how much nicer they are for travel until last Oct when I carried a Zeagle Flathead reg set to Roatan for my wife to dive. Wow, what a difference in packability/weight.

I own a couple of sets of Mikron regs and love them for travel. Paired with MiFlex hoses, they are light and compact. I had forgotten how much nicer they are for travel until last Oct when I carried a Zeagle Flathead reg set to Roatan for my wife to dive. Wow, what a difference in packability/weight.
If that was a flathead vi the first stage alone weighs more than two complete reg sets, it’s a giant block of brass.

Carrying for two. Every little bit adds up. Happy wife, happy life, happy dive.

XL4 does require a few special tools for the 2nd stage - a subset of the Flight special tools. If you don't need coldwater, Mikron is probably fine rather than XL4. (The XL4+ just adds a 2nd HP port, and everything is white.)

Just one note to consider - in general, smaller compact 2nd stages usually have a higher Work Of Breathing than larger 2nd stages. Often that difference, while measurable on an ANSTI machine, would never be noticed by the diver except in extreme conditions. (depth, higher rater of breathing, etc.) So that is not a game changer, just something to be aware of when making an informed decision.

I've stopped in a few shops in MN this weekend to look at the ScubaPro and Mikron sets in person. Unfortunately, everyone is out of the XL4+. High demand for that one! I would like to check it out though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom