Teric Problems

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There are occasional issues reported, like all mechanical & electronic devices, but Shearwater is the most customer oriented and responsive company in scuba diving (in fact the best one I have ever bought anything from). It is a very reliable computer and you should not worry.
Thanks for your encouragement.

Aside from the yellow transmitter recall,
And the recall was not because it wasn't working, but rather its transmit internal was the same as the grey....

Where did he say it was blamed on him?

Where did he say he had to do all the interface with SW himself?

Was it not replaced?

Aside from the yellow transmitter recall, where is there a systemic problem with the SW products?

Seems everything was done in a reasonable manner....

Bob...

Brand new computer down twice...main unit/transmitter...makes no difference...it's one system...and away for a month...yet to be returned...24 hour return shipping is available between Denver and any point in BC...what could be taking a month...unless Shearwater is busy fixing defective computers...when they should be replacing them...

Nowhere in my post does it say the purchaser was ''blamed''...your word not mine...I think I said ''problem''...being the OP's expensive investment...the OP's inconvenience...the OP's lengthy down time...that's a ''problem''...that a full refund...or a speedy full replacement could have resolved...

I'm with the OP...''regretting a pricy investment''...

''Reasonable''...I think not...and not with my money...

Enjoy your Shearwater...I know the OP is not enjoying his...and I highly doubt his next computer investment will be Shearwater...

W.W...

Bob...

Brand new computer down twice...main unit/transmitter...makes no difference...it's one system...and away for a month...yet to be returned...24 hour return shipping is available between Denver and any point in BC...what could be taking a month...unless Shearwater is busy fixing defective computers...when they should be replacing them...

Nowhere in my post does it say the purchaser was ''blamed''...your word not mine...I think I said ''problem''...being the OP's expensive investment...the OP's inconvenience...the OP's lengthy down time...that's a ''problem''...that a full refund...or a speedy full replacement could have resolved...

Enjoy your Shearwater...

W.W...
I kinda think you should get the complete facts before being so negative.
Repair from US is not to Canada but to Dive-Tronix, a dedicated US service center, which has about 0-3 day turnaround; what, where, and when did the LDS send it in and get it back? I'd want to have this kind of info before making such strongly negative comments.
Given the info in the original post, there is a lot of room for doubt.

I handed in an Aeris once to one of my LDSs for repair; a month later I went in to see what its status was. They said no work yet. The guy went in the backroom, and I peeked under the counter where he'd put it when I handed it in; it was still there...it had not yet been sent in. I grabbed it, left, and called them a month later and said how's my repair doing? They said still not back. meanwhile I'd dealt diretly with Aeris and had a replacement.

I'm not so quick to put fault on manufacturers and service centers if there's been an LDS involved.

Bob...

Enjoy your Shearwater...I know the OP is not enjoying his...and I highly doubt his next computer investment will be Shearwater...

W.W...
if the transmitter is the issue, it isn't Shearwater that is fixing them

Repair from US is not to Canada but to Dive-Tronix, a dedicated US service center,
fact is the transmitter is made by Pelagic, and not likely that dive tronix is fixing them so much as sending on to Pelagic

fact is the transmitter is made by Pelagic, and not likely that dive tronix is fixing them so much as sending on to Pelagic
It sounded like only the Teric was sent in, and the transmitter was just replaced by the LDS. Maybe not.
If Pelagic was involved in the "repair" turnaround, all bets are off.

Repair from US is not to Canada but to Dive-Tronix, a dedicated US service center, which has about 0-3 day turnaround; what, where, and when did the LDS send it in and get it back? I'd want to have this kind of info before making such strongly negative comments.
Given the info in the original post, there is a lot of room for doubt.

I handed in an Aeris once to one of my LDSs for repair; a month later I went in to see what its status was. They said no work yet. The guy went in the backroom, and I peeked under the counter where he'd put it when I handed it in; it was still there...it had not yet been sent in. I grabbed it, left, and called them a month later and said how's my repair doing? They said still not back. meanwhile I'd dealt diretly with Aeris and had a replacement.

I'm not so quick to put fault on manufacturers and service centers if there's been an LDS involved.

T...

You're correct...but it does sound like Shearwater or their US based service center has had the unit for a month...what could they be doing that takes a month...not only is there a questionable product...but questionable support as well...and if the transmitter(s) are going to a third party...that makes it all the worse for the OP/purchaser...

The only thing that should be done with a brand new defective product is to either provide a full refund...or to replace with new...who wants a new product...that for whatever reason was found to be defective...disassembled...repaired...returned...only to fail for a second time...and as I've already said...whether it's the hand set...or the transmitter...it's still one system...

Summing up...why would you/anyone want to go there...

W.W...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom