Travel regs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I know many on SB frown on the brand but I have a Cressi MC9/Compact that I use for travel and it has worked well, have about 25 dives on them in fresh and salt water and they have performed flawlessly and are very lightweight. There are less shops that service cressi than AL and ScubaPro. The trade off is less initial cost but less convenience in maintenance.

I have never understood the odd marketing concept of "traveling" regulators; and have always taken two or more of my usual sets, while on vacation -- all as carry-on baggage. Considering most modern regulators, there cannot be that much of a weight disparity?

I have never understood the odd marketing concept of "traveling" regulators; and have always taken two or more of my usual sets, while on vacation -- all as carry-on baggage. Considering most modern regulators, there cannot be that much of a weight disparity?

I agree that while some are definitely lighter than others, lots are close. I’ve traveled with my din set a few times. I’d rather have another set that’s yoke rather than potentially forgetting an adapter, which does add weight - and which did happen in coz. Lucky for me we were still close enough to the dock that the boat just turned back so I could get it.

I went through the same decision process about a year ago and went with a pair of C370's and a Mark 11. I'm anal about traveling light and while the Apeks Flight and Aqualung Mikron were top contenders, the C370's are incredibly light and the MK11 isn't too bad weight-wise. Plus all 3 components are physically quite compact. And the price was reasonable. Finally, compared to the Mikron and Apeks, my LDS prefers to service Scubapro and that factored into my decision as well.

The setup is perfect for me. When I recreational dive in warm water, I can get all my gear into my roll-aboard and backpack and don't have to check anything (except when traveling the last leg on the prop jobs).

Since March, I've done about 100 dives with the regs. and they've performed just fine. Since I only dive warm water, I'm also able to use them for technical diving. For that diving, I move the C370's over to my (DIN) HOG D3's. I've had them down well past 150' on the San Francisco Maru in Truk and at the Cavern in Grand Turk and didn't notice and WOB issues-- they breathed just fine for me.

Just a thought. If you're an instructor/divemaster and up & down the ladder or flipping onto a RIB constantly or diving on boats where equipment gets trashed & bashed continuously, lightweight regs. won't hold up as well as a traditional brass regulator. But if you're doing a hundred dives a year and keep things clipped off and take reasonable care of your equipment, they should be fine.

thanks that’s good feedback.

Mikron or XL4 personally I'd choose the Mikron, it's a simpler reg and easier to service or get serviced. The convoluted design of the XL4 and the need for specialized tools, which a far flung LDS may or may not have, puts me off. Also WOB specs are better on the Mikron. I do like the wide exhaust on the XL4.

Yes, weight/size is mainly what I'm after. I currently have a Hollis 200LX/DCX DIN setup so I don't need to worry about using these in cooler water.

Jack - I had the Flight on my list originally but after doing some reading on them and challenges with repairs/specialty tools needed etc I thought maybe it wouldn't be a great choice. I'll take a look at the XL4+ though.
How much would you expect to save on weight? Never more than 1kg I believe. So why bother with another set which will add initial purchase cost as well as maintenance afterward? Keep it simple.

How much would you expect to save on weight? Never more than 1kg I believe. So why bother with another set which will add initial purchase cost as well as maintenance afterward? Keep it simple.

I used to have a complete travel diving set, but it was all a compromise in one way or another, not to mention the additional cost.

I now travel with what I use locally. If I wanna save weight I leave other stuff behind.

I have a titanium Atomic, weight saved is weight I don’t have to carry, I have considered going to a mk11 though so that’s the route I would take here.

my travel set:

79707182_10157730429351221_6787139073279524864_o.jpg

:thumb:

YMMV....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom