Fiji Airways - weighing carry-on bags at SFO?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Unless it is VERY heavy like 30lb + and over, the Fiji Airway SFO people let it go. Good thing was I arranged with the dive boat to have 4 luggage on the boat. I was there for 3 weeks.

I haven't flown Fiji, but some general thoughts -

Once we started flying more non-US airlines that have more restrictive carryon limits, we made a point of getting suitable smaller and very light rollaboards for those trips. That way we have a better chance of them both looking ok - so they are less likely to look like something that should be weighed or measured - and actually being within weight limits or at least reasonably close, in case someone does check. It depends a lot on the airline and situation, and in reality it hasn't turned out to be an issue too many times. In general, I'd say flying business is likely to let you get away with more. But while it's good to check what a certain airline is likely to do at a certain airport, the trouble is you can't 100% count on it so you have to be prepared, somehow. Also, you may find they don't care too much on US departure, especially if it's a codeshare or a US airline is handing ground logistics for a foreign carrier. But they might care on the return. (We ran into that going to Australia, I believe that was the experience that inspired us to get new rollaboards.)

I also recommend getting over the desire to carry on too much stuff - losing stuff is not actually that likely, and the introduction of new tracking technologies over the years has made it even less likely than it used to be (but the worry lives on.) Regs are an issue at least in the Philippines, they don't allow them in carryone for some time now, don't know if there are other places like that. Paying attention to how you book your flights, having flights on one itinerary and adequate layover time as much as possible, is always a good idea. Getting certain places a day early is a good idea. Make sure all your bags have full itineraries to help something lost or delayed to catch up with you, it can't hurt.

Another thing we've noticed with foreign airlines that have low carry-on limits - while not universal, some seem to give more of a crap on average about your checked luggage than the US carriers. Maybe it's cultural, maybe they've been forced to since they're not letting people carry on so much, I dunno. But maybe that balances things out a little.

I just got back from Fiji. Even though I live in SF, we flew to LAX to make the flight out. My carry on got weighed and I was told that I was over the allowance. I kindly explained that the bag was full of camera equipment and I really need to carry it on, and she let me do it no problem. On the way back, they didn't even bother weighing my carry-on.

They didn't weigh our carry ons out of LAX last summer, but I'm told that it is more or less random and can depend on who happens to be working the counter.

It's worth reading the fine print on carry ons. For example, computers and camera gear (unless it's obviously professional/excessive) don't count against you on weight. Segregate those things so you can pull them out if you get checked. It's also worth thinking about the bags you use. A typical carry on roller uses up a ton of your allowance.

Where did you find the fine print? I've been poking around on the website and couldn't find it. My carry on and my backpack are both issues due to camera gear and laptop.

Going in May. Likely not business class.

It's pretty standard policy. Look for the contract of carriage.

I put a photographers vest in my carry on so that if my bag gets weighed I can pull stuff out and place it on my person. I then go around the corner and put it all back in. Happened at LAX going to Fiji and then at Nadi on the way back.

I'm flying business to Fiji and I was wondering if they weigh carry-on bags at SFO. I get 2 carry-on bags plus a personal item, but the bags are said to be limited to 7 kg. Just wondering if they enforce it.

Thanks!
They didnt when I went to Fiji, but they can.

I got nailed in both Indonesia and PNG....to the tune of 300 dollars in both for my carry on. Their response? Pay or leave it behind.....

Honestly, unless it’s extremely personal and important or extremely valuable, just check it. The only thing I carry on is my mask, dive computer, rash guard, and one change of clothes. I’ve done a ton of travel in remote places and never had a problem with lost luggage. And even if you’re on a liveaboard, If they lose your bag have them arrange with the dive shop, they’ll usually get it to you even in the open water. For me it’s just not worth the hassle or risk, especially if you’re going to a place like the Philippines where technically regulators aren’t allowed in carry on bags.

I have had issues in the past with Fiji airlines leaving Nadi weighing carry-on. This was before I got into carrying a large underwater camera. The last time i passed through there to go to the Solomon Islands, I didn't have issues...however, I upgraded my ticket at the last minute for my Nadi to Solomons ticket so that I wouldn't be bothered. It seems like the issues only arise when you're leaving Fiji. If you have to take an interisland flight, you'll be limited further, but you can also see them load the plane as they are tiny.

So, just to make sure my understanding is correct. With a regular (non-business) fare, you get one checked bag up to 50 lbs, one carryon up to 15 lbs, and a small personal item? And it looks like costs for second checked bag, overweight bag and oversized bag are pretty steep.

Similar limitations going intra-island? (Suva to Taveuni)
Any workarounds besides paying a ton of extra cash?

Otherwise seems like it will be an exercise of Sophie's Choice (those less dire) on what dive and camera gear to bring.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom