My AN/DP/Helitrox course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This can't possibly be correct! Aren't we supposed to have a fight that nitpicks the most minute detail and lasts for the next 20 pages?
this bloody thread will be 1,000 pages long by next summer

As mentioned, the learning feedback loop can be really efficient in a pool. It’s not difficult to ascend to debrief on individual skills.

The same for gear and weight adjustments.

Logistics are also usually better. I haven’t yet seen an open water training area where I can use a wheeled cart to transport doubles from the truck to right next to the training area. We have bleachers to help gear up poolside as well.

it’s also a means of controlling the skill proficiency. Don’t go to any kind of open water until skill proficiency is achieved in the pool.

Hot showers too after a long session.

I haven’t yet seen an open water training area where I can use a wheeled cart to transport doubles from the truck to right next to the training area. We have bleachers to help gear up poolside as well.

I know of one such place, but not open water (Lake Washington) and no hot showers. And not year round.

I haven’t yet seen an open water training area where I can use a wheeled cart to transport doubles from the truck to right next to the training area. We have bleachers to help gear up poolside as well.

it’s also a means of controlling the skill proficiency. Don’t go to any kind of open water until skill proficiency is achieved in the pool.

Not bragging because it’s nothing to brag about, but I can meet those requirements at one site.
You can even leave the cart at home.
Downside is it’s shallow and viz absolutely sucks.
I’ll use a pool.

Logistics are also usually better. I haven’t yet seen an open water training area where I can use a wheeled cart to transport doubles from the truck to right next to the training area.

Our local quarry is like that. Although I find it easier to move my doubles on my back at the quarry. At the pool, the distance to walk is too great from the parking lot, plus I’m not moving doubles on my back on a wet and slippery pool deck. The only time I put doubles in a cart is at the pool.

Maybe this ought to be another thread... I am surprised by this use of pools for advanced training.

So these ‘technical’ pool sessions. What do you wear? And what temperature is the pool?

Pools are a relatively scarce and expensive resource in the U.K. it is MUCH easier to get open water time. You use a pool for initial training where open water would be overwhelming, such as brand new divers.

I can see that if your local sites are closed it might seem like there is no choice, but it seems like a poor return on time. Maybe I will try it, I have a diver who needs to learn to use a twinset. Pool then 40m off Brighton. What could possibly go wrong?

I'm blown away that this turned from someone's first hand experience of what they are going through or about to go through into "to pool or not to pool"?

Threads like these allow people like myself to live vicariously through someone else and dream a little.

Who cares where you learn the skills? I thought the point was to get them? Everywhere is different. Temperatures, cultures, instructors. How someone learns to dive is based off of where they live and what they have access to. What happened to dive and let dive?

I'm blown away that this turned from someone's first hand experience of what they are going through or about to go through into "to pool or not to pool"?

Threads like these allow people like myself to live vicariously through someone else and dream a little.

Who cares where you learn the skills? I thought the point was to get them? Everywhere is different. Temperatures, cultures, instructors. How someone learns to dive is based off of where they live and what they have access to. What happened to dive and let dive?
Are you new to Scubaboard? :stirpot: Actually,Your post count is higher than mine, but this seems to be the usual order of business for Scubaboard to me. Thank goodness she didn't post a "training video" of the "pool sessions":rant::rant::rant:! We would be on page 20 by now.

Pool then 40m off Brighton. What could possibly go wrong?
To be clear the pool work does NOT replace any open water time at all, so unless your course has the first dive at 40m then I’m not sure we are on the same page here.
If pools are expensive then by all means use the optimal resource. Here, most of the dive ops are colocated with hotels so I have access to huge pools for free so it makes sense.

“Real water” is freshwater here - in the big lake out yonder that might throw up 23ft waves tomorrow. In comparison, the storm that sank the Edmund Fitzgerald is said to have had 25-30ft waves.

Class checkout dives on the Great Lakes are uncommon. The only place I know that regularly does them is Diver’s Den in Tobermory , which does them in a shallow, sheltered harbor (40ft deep at most) that has really neat old wooden tugboat wrecks. And that’s for OW classes.
I dont want to detract from what your doing cos i know by reading your posts you put you heart and soul into your diving - but every instructor i know gets frustrated by the poor standard of expertise that they encounter from divers who have certifications form various courses and agencies that have been trained in a (lets say) consumer friendly way that are completely out of their depth when the conditions arent perfect or when theyre are under the slightest pressure. Decompression diving is a whole new and unforgiving arena, being well trained and prepared is non negotiable

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom