Cost diff between in person and online

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The dive shop prices is for all 5 dives. Only diff is $35 less if i do online before I get there.

The dives are not changing in any of this. It is just where I do the "learning" part.

You do not need to pay $345 + $183.

check with the shop but I am pretty sure they already include the online learning when they quote you $345

your choices seem to be 380 for booklet material + practical dives

or 345 for online material + practical dives

or $183 for only online material and you need to sort out your practical dives yourself ?

(Maybe I am wrong and totally misunderstood)

So the first two prices were ONLY for theory ? They did not include practical dives ?

Here is a Florida price: PADI Advanced Open Water Certification | Two Day Course | Florida Keys Dive Center | Florida Keys Dive Center

It is $325 and already includes the two days of practical dives so you do not have to pay anything else.
That site also says the learning fee is in addition. With a big range
COST: $325.00 (based on two person min. add $50.00 for private class). Materials and e-Learning fees ($50 - $180), rental equipment or special equipment are not included in this price.

The place I am looking at says
Includes: Materials, equipment rental

I realize this should not be confusing I just dont see the math.

You do not need to pay $345 + $183.

check with the shop but I am pretty sure they already include the online learning when they quote you $345
No the original price is $380. Hence my confusion.
Last time I tried it was the same.

No the original price is $380. Hence my confusion.
Last time I tried it was the same.
Maybe they quote prices differently in the US. I am confused too now LOL !

Apologies for adding to the confusion !

I emailed the shop I linked to ask them because it bothers me now to not understand.

I'm not surprised that the sum cost is more expensive.

When you do the e-learning separate, the shop still needs to verify that you actually learned some of the material, make sure everyone is on the same page, verify your credentials, etc. Things that aren't included when the dive shop does the whole course.

I don’t get how you come to $145 difference: I already posted it but let me repeat again in case it was missed due to the other replies.

I believe that the first price includes the practical dives and the last one does not. So there is no difference as you’d pay probably $145 for two days of practical dives ...
The price difference is because eLearning is convenient, premium priced, full boat non-discounted price when bought directly from PADI that actually places a value on the instruction and content provided above and beyond the cost of maintaining a website. (Also includes the cost of the c-card)
At a dive shop, a combination of market forces and habitual, reflexive undervaluation of an instructor's time drive down your price.
Between the actual cost of in water instruction, the book itself, and the c-card, the shop is NOT making a substantial margin on the course. They are close enough to offering you a course "at cost" that you cannot expect them to just deduct the premium price of the profitable eLearning course from an already bare bones traditional class price structure, and stay in business.
Now, that doesn't mean that they have thought it through all the way, did the math right, and are taking advantage of all opportunities. Assuming they are a PADI resort, they should be able to capture a substantial portion of the PADI eLearning price as revenue share. Sometimes from what I see posted on SB, I wonder if some shops even realize that or are just in the habit of receiving divers that affiliated with their local shop and so deprived the folks doing the water work from receiving the eLearning revenue share.

The dive shop prices is for all 5 dives. Only diff is $35 less if i do online before I get there.

The dives are not changing in any of this. It is just where I do the "learning" part.
$35 difference sound like they are just recognizing that you have already paid for the c-card with the eLearning purchase.
You are unlikely to get them to review or revise their business model, but it might very well be worth a phone call to see if that would change if you make sure to affiliate with them when purchasing eLearning, or even if they can/will sell you and eLearning Access Pass for the course.

The price difference is because eLearning is convenient, premium priced, full boat non-discounted price when bought directly from PADI that actually places a value on the instruction and content provided above and beyond the cost of maintaining a website. (Also includes the cost of the c-card)
At a dive shop, a combination of market forces and habitual, reflexive undervaluation of an instructor's time drive down your price.
Between the actual cost of in water instruction, the book itself, and the c-card, the shop is NOT making a substantial margin on the course. They are close enough to offering you a course "at cost" that you cannot expect them to just deduct the premium price of the profitable eLearning course from an already bare bones traditional class price structure, and stay in business.
Now, that doesn't mean that they have thought it through all the way, did the math right, and are taking advantage of all opportunities. Assuming they are a PADI resort, they should be able to capture a substantial portion of the PADI eLearning price as revenue share. Sometimes from what I see posted on SB, I wonder if some shops even realize that or are just in the habit of receiving divers that affiliated with their local shop and so deprived the folks doing the water work from receiving the eLearning revenue share.

I did notice that some shops were very specific about logging them as your destination. This place said to mark them in the list but if I missed it it's not a big deal.
I am definitely not trying to beat up the shop on the price. I'm just trying to figure out what's going on here and that I am signing up for the right class. $50 either way no biggie but $150 anyone would pause.

Some places, would have four different prices.

1. You pay the shop. They provide the book and practical instruction.

2. You pay the shop, they provide you with the online instruction and the Practical instruction.

3. You pay for the online to padi and designate that shop for practical instruction. You pay the shop directly for the practical instruction.

4. You pay for the online to padi, but do not designate that shop for practical instruction. You pay the shop directly for practical instruction.

In many cases 1 is the cheapest and 4 is the most expensive overall. 2 and 3 should be close to the same total price. 4 is the most expensive because divers frequently designate a different shop which gets paid half the online fee for doing nothing.

Back
Top Bottom