3D Printed parts - Working at depth?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fusion360 has one of the most comprehensive actually modeled threats capabilities (and you can get Fusion360 for free).
Its not perfect, I still have threads I need now and then that are not in Fusion... But its darn easy when they are there.

Some calipers and decent CAD will get you there.
I actually used Fusion360 to model mine. the standard threads have the right size and fits, but I have no way to customize the shape of the thread tip and make it round.

I actually used Fusion360 to model mine. the standard threads have the right size and fits, but I have no way to customize the shape of the thread tip and make it round.

You can change the faces of the threads with fillets and chamfers. As an example. If you have a Metric ISO thread M16, you get a flat surface at the edge of the thread. That is how these threads are. If you want it round you just add a small fillet 0.25 or so to the outer edge of the thread.

You can change the faces of the threads with fillets and chamfers. As an example. If you have a Metric ISO thread M16, you get a flat surface at the edge of the thread. That is how these threads are. If you want it round you just add a small fillet 0.25 or so to the outer edge of the thread.
good idea, i will try that. Not sure the thread had enough flat surface on the edge that I can smooth with a fillet.

Nice job! It's very similar to my first iteration where I copied the surface air valve design with the handles. Then I realized, I actually don't need to move the part while diving and decided to make it low profile with the internal handle. I tried to copy the original design. I'll check the difference between your thread and mine, thanks for the share!
View attachment 560485

I liked the idea of a low profile plug, so I redesigned it similar to yours. This time I printed it with PETG.

IMG_5333.JPG

I have printed all my diy scuba parts in PLA never an issue. Ymmv
One of the biggest problems with PLA, specially black PLA is that it deforms enormously if left to direct sunlight. ABS has not that problem.

I think 3D printer people are the new cavemen. Cavemen DaVinci's.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom