My AN/DP/Helitrox course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

certainly no need for pools in your neck of the woods. For classes like intro to tech and AN/DP, the pool is critical IMO *or pool like area*. There's no need to actually go into open water for introduction of the skills with regards to buoyancy/trim/propulsion and bottle handling. You need something like a quarry for at least a day at the end to get the skills validated with depth changes. If you don't do any pool work in those courses I seriously question your judgement as an instructor.....

I must be reading your note wrong.

If a CW session(s) can be accomplished in a real body of water, why wouldn’t an instructor take his students there?

I’m proud my CW sessions were in salt water.

I’m not against a pool session but if real water is available, I say ‘crack on’.

okay ill ask seeing i never did any pool training for AN/DP wouldn't you expect the customer to have suitable skills to be able to do the training in the environment its intended?

Class always starts with skill/technique demonstration and refinement. There is not much difference between doing this on platforms, in pool, or in shallow beach dive. You may not be able to do ascent training (maybe baby ascents if pool is deeper) but there is nothing wrong with doing basics in a pool at the beginning of class.

well if you iced over and cant get in the water by all means theres some benefit in preparing for a course in your own time -lets say tank manipulation etc but doing a decompression course (even in part ) in a 3m pool is ridiculous. maybe if it was 10 m deep you can at least shoot a DSMB or do some realistic role playing
I think you are reading way way too deep into this...
:confused::wink::)

Class always starts with skill/technique demonstration and refinement. There is not much difference between doing this on platforms, in pool, or in shallow beach dive. You may not be able to do ascent training (maybe baby ascents if pool is deeper) but there is nothing wrong with doing basics in a pool at the beginning of class.
but thats my point - if youve signed up to do a course to do a decompression dive shouldn't you have the basic skills sorted ? - unless its for the instructors benefit (or environment considerations) i'ill concede maybe tank set up and manipulation would be advantageous in a pool

but thats my point - if youve signed up to do a course to do a decompression dive shouldn't you have the basic skills sorted ? - unless its for the instructors benefit (or environment considerations) i'ill concede maybe tank set up and manipulation would be advantageous in a pool

You really are reading way too much into pool sessions for a tech class. I have a friend on the west coast that recently did a GUE Tech 1 class. There was a pool session for that class. If the All-Revered GUE has pool sessions for their classes, can you really question pool sessions for other agencies’ classes?

:rofl3:

well if you iced over and cant get in the water by all means theres some benefit in preparing for a course in your own time -lets say tank manipulation etc but doing a decompression course (even in part ) in a 3m pool is ridiculous. maybe if it was 10 m deep you can at least shoot a DSMB or do some realistic role playing

I use pool sessions for new gear adjusting and skills they have never done before. So valve shutdowns they way I want to see them, pick up and drop off deco tanks, tweaking of any kicks, fine tuning trim and new gear placement, rescue scenarios... lots can be done in a pool. Pretty much anything except lauching DSMBs and physically ascending from one stop to another. Doing "deco stops" in 3 feet of water is a pretty good form of feedback on if they are holding depth or not. If the visual reference makes to too easy, try it with no mask/blacked out mask.

Sure I could go to the lake an hour up the road to do the same thing in 5 foot of vis at 20 feet instead of at home in a 10 foot pool with 50 foot vis (and 30 feet from climate controlled comfort!), but why would I? Just so I can count that dive as one of the OW dives? Not going to do that anyway.

maybe your right -perhaps im asking too much
Hopefully this will help...

A skill introduced by an instructor in a pool setting still needs to be properly performed and demonstrated by the student in the deeper open water environment. So...

They're gonna have to successfully plan and execute a dive to depth and accrue actual deco which means they still gotta attach a bottle, they still gotta go to depth, they still gotta maintain some level of bouyancy and time control at depth while following their dive plan, they still gotta ascend, they still gotta shoot a bag from depth, they still gotta perform a deco gas switch at the appropriate depth, they still gotta perform the appropriate deco stops, they're still gonna have to perform a functional valve drill, they're still gonna have to perform other skills and/or failures as their instructor sees fit, they're still gonna have to a bunch of stuff in a real dive setting that they had the concepts introduced to them earlier in a pool.

:):) - Jeff

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom