Nitrox certification...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

5 in our recent group in COZ took advantage of the port closure to obtain their PADI Nitrox. $220.00 and two hours later they became Nitrox certified.. class was 150.00 and PADI take the remainder.

^^^ Very true. I did PADI, my daughter did NAUI at different times, probably should have been reversed. PADI is for people who would be happy how to analyze a tank, memorize the MOD for 32 and 36 at pO2 1.4 so they can use shop provided tanks and fills and label the tank correctly. NAUI is for people who would like to calculate the ideal mix for any given planned depth, what the compromises are between different pO2, switch from feet and psi to meters and bars on the fly, and have their own tanks and patience to ask for a custom fill and wait for it if needed.

I wanna get the endorsement. Any suggestions for best "bang for the buck"? $200.00 seems mighty expensive...

Excuseeze me...??? :eek:

$200.00 ???

As I recall the NAUI Nitrox course cost me about $80-$90 when I took it, but admittedly it has been a while.

Some shops used to offer the Nitrox certification course for free as an incentive if you purchased a new computer from them, so might check around in your area.

Just a thought...

Immoral profiteers iffin ya ask me.

5 in our recent group in COZ took advantage of the port closure to obtain their PADI Nitrox. $220.00 and two hours later they became Nitrox certified.. class was 150.00 and PADI take the remainder.
Nearly two hours into the TDI online course and I'm just 16% through it. Geez, I'm slow...

^^^ Very true. I did PADI, my daughter did NAUI at different times, probably should have been reversed. PADI is for people who would be happy how to analyze a tank, memorize the MOD for 32 and 36 at pO2 1.4 so they can use shop provided tanks and fills and label the tank correctly. NAUI is for people who would like to calculate the ideal mix for any given planned depth, what the compromises are between different pO2, switch from feet and psi to meters and bars on the fly, and have their own tanks and patience to ask for a custom fill and wait for it if needed.
I did a PADI and they explain how to use the PPO2 limits.

I don’t need to use psi although I can do the conversion and I don’t understand your last point about custom fills: the PADI material says that some mix are more common and can be pre banked but they say as well that you can get custom mixes.

What a bunch of hoohah. I took the basic SDI class. I have no need to deal with on the fly switches to metric, but with the SDI/TDI Nitrox table in hand I can see what different pO2 does and figure out that I want 28% if I’m diving a 130ft wreck at 1.4 (MOD is 132ft).

people who would like to calculate the ideal mix for any given planned depth, what the compromises are between different pO2, switch from feet and psi to meters and bars on the fly, and have their own tanks and patience to ask for a custom fill and wait for it if needed.
That was all covered in my PADI materials. How detailed the instructor went into it depends entirely on the instructor.

Reactions: yle
You are probably correct. I had mine with local standard PADI instructor, and felt that what I got was "good enough" for a standard vacation diver. Easy to understand rules, practical exposure to an analyzer and logbook, rundown on changing the setting on my computer. I have the PADI tables as well, but we never went over them because I had a computer. Little quiz at the end and a tour of the shop fill stations.
I audited my daughter's NAUI course with LandonL. He really, really knows his stuff, and it showed. Lots of theory, calculations, explanations, and history. Details on how the pO2 limits were worked out, the relative dangers of violating MOD, the likelihood of exceeding the O2 clock given her expected dive patterns, working out mixes with calculations for certain depths without tables (easier in metric than imperial, I see the advantages), practicalities of getting a hot top off fill on a partially filled tank with some nitrox in it already, analysis at the fill station, analysis on the boat, and a whole lot more.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom