DiveNav has closed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Another Scubaboard darling goes belly up. Learned my lesson there. The CooTwo is a piece of junk and the guy was a jerk. Too bad because it was a good idea and so far no one else has CO capability in an O2 analyzer. Mine still limps along with excessive babying, but basically has the quality of any item you'd buy for a quarter out of a grocery store vending machine.

Tobin had some good stuff but his wing design was stupid and he was a jerk, too. Good riddance. There's really no reason to treat your customers not just badly, but with contempt.

That's 2 out of 3 for the biggest Scubaboard darlings since I've been around (not long). Fingers crossed the SB seal of approval curse doesn't harm Shearwater.
LOL.
if the SB Seal of Approval is also the Kiss of Death, then PADI should have no fear.
On the other hand, does this mean the end of backplates and wings, and horizontal trim?
Methinks your sample is kinda biased.

My BW Technology (Honeywell) Gas Alert Microclip X3 has been performing perfectly and it can test air, co, and 2 other gases all in a tiny portable unit. Check it out.

0-30% O2 -> fairly useless (standard EAN mixes are 32% & 35%). IMHO, you have a $500 CO tester..... I have a $129 Sencorcon that seems to be a little more economical for just CO...

YMMV

Doesn't surprise me. They had a great concept, but those units are crap.

Customer service was basically zero even when it was a going concern. This just makes it official.
What was crap about the unit? Mine works just fine.

I, personally, never had any big issues with them customer service-wise either - but they did have an overly aggressive spam filter which made getting in touch with them via e-mail harder than it needed to be (a bad thing for customer service). However, once sorted out, I never had any issue contacting them again.

I had the unit back to them twice for calibration and that did seem pretty pricey - but on the last one, they sent me back a brand new unit with the new firmware as they found a board issue with my unit - so they did right by me.

I did see the owner get “into the gutter” arguing with some posters here which is never a good idea for a business owner to do - regardless of who’s right or wrong.

In the end, it’s a shame to lose a unit like this from the marketplace - but I’ll look to source sensors and bump gas and keep it running myself.

Another Scubaboard darling goes belly up. Learned my lesson there. The CooTwo is a piece of junk and the guy was a jerk. Too bad because it was a good idea and so far no one else has CO capability in an O2 analyzer. Mine still limps along with excessive babying, but basically has the quality of any item you'd buy for a quarter out of a grocery store vending machine.

Tobin had some good stuff but his wing design was stupid and he was a jerk, too. Good riddance. There's really no reason to treat your customers not just badly, but with contempt.

That's 2 out of 3 for the biggest Scubaboard darlings since I've been around (not long). Fingers crossed the SB seal of approval curse doesn't harm Shearwater.
Don't forget deep6.

So.. two companies that weren't run well despite having good products bit the dust. The other two are around because they seem to be under competent management and they treat customers well.

@kelemvor of note DSS did not close because of business problems like DiveNav did. They closed when Tobin moved and opted to retire instead of reopen that portion of his business

0-30% O2 -> fairly useless (standard EAN mixes are 32% & 35%). IMHO, you have a $500 CO tester..... I have a $129 Sencorcon that seems to be a little more economical for just CO...

YMMV
Probably good units to have if you rent homes with gas utility in them. I'm not sure you can reasonably use it to test tank air. Will those units even tell you if you have 1ppm CO present? I've got a portable room co meter that I use for traveling but it doesn't give you a CO reading, just an alert if co is too high.. something like 20ppm

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom