Do I need pesos?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RIHappyDiver

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Will be staying at SCC with an all inclusive package. Knowing the group I’ll be with, we probably won’t go do too many things out and about. I would like to go get some chicken at some point, and maybe go the the Observatory, thanks @slippy_lolo. Maybe even get across the street for some Salsa and Salsa:dork2:. So, do I need to hit an ATM, or should I just carry small denomination green backs?

Thanks for any advise offered,

Erik

From my experience, most Mexican citizens seem to prefer dollars to pesos. Only once that I can recall over the last 10 years that I've been going have I ever been asked to pay in pesos and that was this past year diving cenotes. So if it were me...and it has been many times....I wouldn't worry too much about getting pesos. But YMMV

It's cause they give you a sh*t exchange rate. You're in Mexico. Use the currency. At least try to speak Spanish. Don't bring up Trump.

Chicken?

You don't need pesos for anything on Cozumel, but they are nice to have for some things, like taxis.

Paying in dollars will almost always cost you more than you would pay with pesos as the taxis or businesses enjoy a better exchange rate. Only exception I know is the MEGA supermarket. If you are not going to be out much (real shame as you may miss the best part of Cozumel) break a $20 at one of the banks.

Sorry you will be in an AI prison.

Dave Dillehay

Peso for tipping..20 to the dollar.

You can always pay in dollars but you will spend more. I was at a place it said $20 dollars or $200 pesos. So thats 11 dollars. As you can imagine they love you to pay 20 dollars.

From my experience, most Mexican citizens seem to prefer dollars to pesos.

This just seems patently wrong, even for Mexicans working in the tourist industry, and almost certainly is incorrect for the country as a whole . Can you please provide some of the details that informed this conclusion?

Only once that I can recall over the last 10 years that I've been going have I ever been asked to pay in pesos and that was this past year diving cenotes. So if it were me...and it has been many times....I wouldn't worry too much about getting pesos. But YMMV

There's a difference between "preferring dollars" and "being asked to pay in pesos". The peso is the official currency, so whoever you're dealing with is likely going to be conducting their own business (what they do when they're not serving tourists) in pesos. Gas, taxes, utilities, barbers, plumbers, vehicle purchase and repair - all these businesses are going to expect pesos.

Yes, tourist-facing businesses accept US dollars (and some accept Canadian dollars and euros) to make it easy for the visiting tourist to spend money. No one is going to turn down a tip in any currency. And yes, the major groceries offer a pretty good exchange rate, which I understand is to better compete for the business of locals who end up with dollars. But do they prefer dollars? I think not. There's only so much you can buy at Mega. Banks may limit how much foreign currency can be deposited. Banks and currency exchange houses don't give great exchange rates. Pesos have none of these problems.

For the OP, get enough pesos for all your tips (Tipping at all-inclusive resorts) and your one or two trips out and about. Look through the forum for tips on ATM dynamic conversion scams and such.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom