First time diving cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What if you had to choose between that and the bull sharks...?

And do you need more than a full 3 mil for the cenotes?

I've never dove with sharks like that, but I do think it would be really cool. So I can't say one way or the other. I am headed to Nassau in July and will absolutely do the shark dives at Stuart Cove's so I can compare the two then. But I can say for sure that diving the cenotes, while there was any sealife to speak of, was one of the most awe inspiring experiences of my diving career thus far. Can't wait to go back!

I dove the cenotes in June but the water temp is from my understanding always around 72F. I dove a dive skin with a Shark skin top underneath and was perfectly comfortable. That first entry around 9:00 am was a little brisk for only for a few seconds. So I'd say no, nothing more than a 3mm unless you're really cold-natured. I do however have a little more "bioprene" than a lot of other divers so YMMV.

I'd choose cenotes over bull shark dive, as I think they are more unique to the area. When we did dos ojos I was a touch cold by the middle of the second dive and had a full 3mm on. I tend to get cold though. I would think a full 3mm is sufficient for most anyone.

The cenotes are really cool and definitely should be experienced; nothing like floating in crystal clear water... until you hit the haloclines of course. I love sharks but it's been about three years since I last dived the cenotes so would probably try to work that in personally.

I get chilled easily even in CZM and usually dive a 5/4 mil suit (I know, cold-blooded veins), but I recall being completely comfortable in the cenotes with my setup. I would venture to say that most would be fine in a 3 mil.

I've never dove with sharks like that, but I do think it would be really cool.

Yes it is, especially when its natural (not canned). I think now I’ve been around 14 different sharks (Nurse, silky, dusky, white tip reef, oceanic white tip, thresher, scalloped and great hammerhead, silver tip, Galapagos, black tip, gray, caribbean reef, sandbar)… it never never gets old. I’d love to do the Guadalupe trip as well as the bullsharks though.

I'd choose cenotes over bull shark dive, as I think they are more unique to the area. When we did dos ojos I was a touch cold by the middle of the second dive and had a full 3mm on. I tend to get cold though. I would think a full 3mm is sufficient for most anyone.

Good to know… I figure for 2 dives I could do 3 mil. If I was doing 4 dives / day in those temps, I’d be 5 mil. I got rid of all the extra insulation a few years back :>

They were until they ran Alex and miguel away...
Not sure what that means? They are under new ownership and for the most part they have the same guys. Do you know the story behind those two not being there anymore or are you just assuming they were let go for no reason?

I have bits and pieces of the story, so I prefer not to get deep into it when I don’t know all of the facts. I just know my 2 friends are not associated with PV anymore and it was a bitter breakup w Dennis (I think that was the previous owners name)

I have bits and pieces of the story, so I prefer not to get deep into it when I don’t know all of the facts. I just know my 2 friends are not associated with PV anymore and it was a bitter breakup w Dennis (I think that was the previous owners name)

The new owners Paulino and Mary are good people and treat their employees right. Paulino used to work for Cozumel Marine World as an Instructor/DM and when Palagic Divers went up for sale he and his wife bought them. I don't know about your two friends, I only know that they were not there when the new owners took over, so whatever happened had nothing to do with them. I have had the opportunity to dive with many dive operations in Cozumel and these guys are top-notch, I like Scuba Tony and Aldora, they are both good companies, but my experience with PV is more like family and I like the smaller faster boates that are not like cattle boats, it must be because I am getting older.

The new owners Paulino and Mary are good people and treat their employees right. Paulino used to work for Cozumel Marine World as an Instructor/DM and when Palagic Divers went up for sale he and his wife bought them. I don't know about your two friends, I only know that they were not there when the new owners took over, so whatever happened had nothing to do with them. I have had the opportunity to dive with many dive operations in Cozumel and these guys are top-notch, I like Scuba Tony and Aldora, they are both good companies, but my experience with PV is more like family and I like the smaller faster boates that are not like cattle boats, it must be because I am getting older.

I love when I find an op like that. That is why I go with my two friends. I've known Miguel 30 years, or at least 25 anyways.

Sadly, the bull sharks are not currently in Playa. They are usually here this time of year. They come to give birth, but hang off Playa as the local dive operators chum & feed them. Not awesome.

The common rumour is that they might have been taken a couple weeks ago by fishermen taking advantage of the situation. This is just hearsay, but in any case the sharks are MIA. I hope they are OK.

Back
Top Bottom