3D Printed parts - Working at depth?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FDM parts are not air tight, even at 100% infill. I'd be less worried about microbubbles and more with interlaminary issues long term when under pressure. If you have the cad model and want a more reliable solution, I'd just send the model off to either be printed on an sla machine or machined out of delrin.

from an engineering perspective..i would not even consider using that part.

even with 100% infill, it is essentially filled with imperfections, and the risk of it cracking/ delamination is high, especially considering it is a pressure bearing part (since this is a Full face mask, this is the same as using printed parts in your regulator).

Pardon my ignorance, but why wouldn't you just contact the manufacturer of the mask and buy the proper plug? This seems like an awful lot of work for a part that you aren't even sure will work. It seems like failure of this part could potentially lead to a fairly sporty situation, so why take the chance?

OCEAN REEF Diving | Integrated Diving Mask

I'm not familiar with the mask or part, but do lots of 3d printing.

Some parts are used for 60psi+ CO^2 carbonation (using beer kegging fittings to carbonate beverages from used plastic coke bottles and the like). We make carb-o-ritas (carbonated margaritas ;-) and similar.

The quality of the material and the process of printing will have a significant impact on the finished product and it's properties. If this is just a 'plug' and not under pressure, it should be fine. If it is pressure bearing (to seal the area previously containing the communications gear, I personally would not do it.

I've 3d printed bits of scuba gear, although not a part for my ocean reef mask. I'm sure it will work for a long time. The parts I printed and used were even done in plain 'ol PLA and they held up fine until I didn't need the part anymore.

Pardon my ignorance, but why wouldn't you just contact the manufacturer of the mask and buy the proper plug? This seems like an awful lot of work for a part that you aren't even sure will work. It seems like failure of this part could potentially lead to a fairly sporty situation, so why take the chance?

OCEAN REEF Diving | Integrated Diving Mask
Ocean reef definitely sells stuff like this part. I've got a small pile of the plastic attachment that connects the comms to the mask because that part breaks frequently. I was never able to find parts online, but i got them from my LDS that sold me the mask. Ocean reef isn't particularly snappy with shipping speed, but eventually you can get your stuff.

Just need to make sure the printed surface is very flat
Polish it anyway. PS, I moved it to the correct forum. :D

Pardon my ignorance, but why wouldn't you just contact the manufacturer of the mask and buy the proper plug?
Time and convenience. There is a small cost savings once you own your printer, but mostly time and convenience. I often print stuff quicker than I can ever get it from an LDS and I get to print it to my specs. www.Thingiverse.com is your friend.

Time and convenience. There is a small cost savings once you own your printer, but mostly time and convenience. I often print stuff quicker than I can ever get it from an LDS and I get to print it to my specs.
Plus.. there's something to be said for just making things yourself. I'm not sure I can put it into words, but it definitely feels good.

Plus.. there's something to be said for just making things yourself.
And it doesn't have to be black! :D :D :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom