International Scuba Related Fatalities Calendar Year 2019

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think if any two scuba board members were talking among themselves, and one of them said 'Dandy Don's forum', the other would immediately know what the first was referring to. :)
If Google alerts me to a serious diving accident anywhere, the news article seems real, and no one else posts about it before me (always my preference really), then I'll try to share it here. I've survived enough of my own dumb mistakes and other close calls, but scuba is a potentially dangerous sport - so if my sharing about the misfortunes of others can help anyone here dive safer, great. I hate it that most bodies are found with weights attached, divers die for unknown reasons while breathing untested gases, and some go missing without affordable PLBs. I don't expect to change the industry, but I hope that some will remember me trying to help make it safer.

Other members private message me about accidents at times as they just don't want to be the one to post about them, or google and I miscommunicate. I am happy to post in their stead. I'm sure that many serious accidents never make the news, but I hope we can learn from those that do.

If Google alerts me to a serious diving accident anywhere, the news article seems real, and no one else posts about it before me (always my preference really), then I'll try to share it here. I've survived enough of my own dumb mistakes and other close calls, but scuba is a potentially dangerous sport - so if my sharing about the misfortunes of others can help anyone here dive safer, great. I hate it that most bodies are found with weights attached, divers die for unknown reasons while breathing untested gases, and some go missing without affordable PLBs. I don't expect to change the industry, but I hope that some will remember me trying to help make it safer.

Other members private message me about accidents at times as they just don't want to be the one to post about them, or google and I miscommunicate. I am happy to post in their stead. I'm sure that many serious accidents never make the news, but I hope we can learn from those that do.

D.D...

You do us all a great service...Many Thanks...

Losing a brother or sister...in a sport that is intended to be fun/enjoyable/relaxing...is terrible...knowing that the death was fully preventable is worse...

Risky...yes...doing a good job in managing/mitigating risk...sometimes...not so much...

Lets all...help our selves...and our brothers and sisters to ensure the fatality number at the end of 2020...is lower than the 2019 number...

If we have to say...R.I.P....God's Speed...once in 2020...it's once too many...

W.W...

My total...273...

Hi Warren,

I am going to assume there were more fatalities than 273 as DD probably does not find all of the incidents. The number is probably approaching one per day. Per 100,000 dives the death rate is quite low. This can be a really safe sport if performed with due diligence and good training.

When the butterflies are loosed in your stomach, thumb the dive.

Live to dive another day.

Take care of your own bad self.

I use the word "respect" a lot on this forum. The ocean can be a dangerous place. Respect the ocean (which includes bays, lakes, sounds, and seas).

Losing a brother or sister...in a sport that is intended to be fun/enjoyable/relaxing...is terrible...knowing that the death was fully preventable is worse...

Sidebar: I have a friend who became a divemaster. She loved travelling, diving, and helping to train OW divers. She witnessed a female body being recovered from Monterey (Scuba diver). Years later she witnessed another scuba diver recovery while on a liveaboard.

She quite diving. She sold her gear and gave it up. Two dead bodies were enough for her.

These people were not related to her and she did not have a personal relationship with them. But, it was enough.

"Mother nature is not out to get you, she just doesn't care!" @Bob DBF

Respect the ocean,
m

The BSAC in the UK collects data on UK incidents, and international incidents involving BSAC members.

Annual Diving Incident Report

DAN also collects data on Incidents.

Scuba Diving Incident Reports and Prevention | DAN

Gareth...

With just a quick scan of what DAN has available...our own SB list is far more comprehensive/detailed...remembering DAN is an insurance company for lack of a better term...and anything that may be court pending or before the court is not going to be mentioned...which in the case of ''fatalities''...is just about everything...which in turn...leaves lots of holes...

W.W...

W.W

Point taken.
I wanted to be fair and point out that DAN do list diving incidents.
Again, reading the non-fatal incidents provides an excellent learning tool.

The BSAC report is very comprehensive, both fatalities and general incident data. Although the BSAC report is specific to the UK. Although it does cover international incidents that have involved its members.
The BSAC list collates reports from multiple sources, and attempts to avoid double reporting of the same incident. Members are supposed to report incidents, in addition the RNLI , Coastguard, and chambers report to the BSAC and they use a news gathering service.
There is also long term analysis of the incidents.
BSAC training is adjusted based on the data gathered from diving incidents.

Gareth

HI Warren,

I think there were a few more incidents before 2019 closed out. Do you have an updated total for the entire year?

thanks,
markm

Back
Top Bottom