Grand Cayman Shore Diving Conditions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Having had to get off boats in nasty swells at West Bay Dock Tony, I couldn't agree more. Better for you to make the decision for your divers to err on the side of safety, for everyone's sake. It's just not worth it.

Our boat capsized on the mooring a while back. The storm that came in was not predicted and the waves came from both directions. She was swamped when she got hit both front and back. Witnesses who saw it happen described it as just insane. Other ops who joined to commiserate and try to keep an eye on their boats referred to the event as a boat killer. Thankfully no one was hurt and we were insured. Just before Christmas the guys had the fun of avoiding the containers that were washed off the cargo pier in GT. That was predicted to be much less than what actually occurred. As Tony said sometimes it is a hard call but safety has to come first. Some guests get cross if their dives are cancelled and they don’t think conditions are bad from their vantage point, others think it is rough if there is a swell and don’t think the trip should run. For the most part ops are super supportive and help each other out and are more than willing to share need about conditions. It is a nice community. Overall we are a very lucky group.

Tony - I asked DiveTech on Sunday and Monday about pm dives for Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, and/or Thursday and was told there were none except for Sunday which was Stingray City only. You guys were my first call because we usually dive with you. We took an AM boat instead, but we prefer PM dives when we can (seems to be more sun).

I’ll note I totally get that there aren’t going to be many, if any, PM and possibly no AM boats tomorrow. Safety first and even though people will be, they shouldn’t be mad about that. When I asked about PM boats, the person at the DiveTech shop told me we needed to have a foursome for a PM boat and there are only two of us this trip.

@mi000ke shore diving was back open yesterday at sunset house and lighthouse point! Macabuca was still closed. We didn’t expect it since it was the worst wind day all week so we actually went to the beach all morning then drove by DiveTech going to lunch and saw the flag up. It looks like the winds are out of the East until later next week so hopefully the conditions hold up for when you get here!

Lighthouse Point and Macabuca are open as of right now. Despite the high winds, as long as the swells continie to do what they are forecast to do, we should remain open all week.

@mi000ke shore diving was back open yesterday at sunset house and lighthouse point! Macabuca was still closed. We didn’t expect it since it was the worst wind day all week so we actually went to the beach all morning then drove by DiveTech going to lunch and saw the flag up. It looks like the winds are out of the East until later next week so hopefully the conditions hold up for when you get here!

:thumb:

Back
Top Bottom