IP gauge leak

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wKkaY

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My IP gauge is leaking from the part in the photo below. A friend said that it's probably due to a worn plastic washer in the OPV, and that the whole OPV can be replaced cheaply (although it is hard to source). What do you guys think?

20200104_124819~3.jpg

I think your friend is mostly correct; however OPVs are easy and inexpensive to source.
Over-Pressure Relief Valve (User Adjustable) | Dive Gear Express®

I also don't think they (OPV) are necessary if you have a second stage hooked up the the first stage as the second stage will act as a pressure relief valve. Therefore, if that is how you use the IP gauge, remove the OPV and simply install a low pressure port plug.

You can also try exercising the valve with a allen key. Tighten/loosen/tighten again to see if it fixes the leak.

Good luck and keep us posted.

just replace the OPV as said above. They're cheap. That said, if you are always using it with a regulator that has a second stage attached to it, or a first stage that has an OPV because it doesn't, then just plug it. Those OPV's are usually the same threads as a low pressure port plug.

If the OPV is leaking, the readings from the IP gauge are no longer accurate though, so you have to replace or plug it before you can get anything useful from the gauge.

Wow thanks, I didn't even think of the possibility of plugging it! I'll try that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom