Drysuit suitable for under construction

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Vicko

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Would anyone have a dry suit to recommend for underwater construction. I need something close to indestructible as i have to dive around lots of sharp edges and wires.
I would prefer trilam for the range of movements but neoprene one is not out of the question. The garbage bag style ones are out of the question, I tried the bullet but the excess skin was constantly getting stuck.

I was looking at SF Tech already, I heard a lot of good things about it

Contact Seajay at @Deep South Divers. He dives daily for underwater salvage work and has been asked by some companies to help test and design their products. I am sure he could give you good insight on a drysuit suitable for the type of work/environment you need one for.

-Z

The Waterproof D1X seems nigh on indestructible. You could probably do a spacewalk outside the station in one while surrounded by flying circular saws and still get back inside safely.

That and your body weight in lead cladding helps to sink it!

yeah, i'm a little worried about that. was thinking of ordering a uranium backplate. thoughts, anyone?

yeah, i'm a little worried about that. was thinking of ordering a uranium backplate. thoughts, anyone?

The inner lining can be removed and the suit dived without it.

-Z

The inner lining can be removed and the suit dived without it.

-Z

Yup. But for my class I was thinking about keeping it in to get used to it. especially in a quarry in January.

Yup. But for my class I was thinking about keeping it in to get used to it. especially in a quarry in January.

If you need the warmth then keep it. If you don't need the added warmth it offers the added buoyancy of the liner might get in the way as it has been suggested one needs a lot of lead to sink the suit with it.

I don't have one of these suits, I have a Fusion.

I will say that regardless of what suit you use, it takes a few dives to develop control of your body position. This is initially frustrating if you only ever used a wetsuit.

As you move in a drysuit the air bubble shifts around throwing off your balance, the diver must relearn how to control their spatial orientation. If your suit has a lot of air trapped in it due to the lining it could exacerbate frustration in learning to dive the suit. You can always add it back later once you get the hang of things.

-Z

If you need the warmth then keep it. If you don't need the added warmth it offers the added buoyancy of the liner might get in the way as it has been suggested one needs a lot of lead to sink the suit with it.

I don't have one of these suits, I have a Fusion.

I will say that regardless of what suit you use, it takes a few dives to develop control of your body position. This is initially frustrating if you only ever used a wetsuit.

As you move in a drysuit the air bubble shifts around throwing off your balance, the diver must relearn how to control their spatial orientation. If your suit has a lot of air trapped in it due to the lining it could exacerbate frustration in learning to dive the suit. You can always add it back later once you get the hang of things.

-Z

Thank you for the sage advice. I will def do my pool dives next week without the liner.

When I worked, I bought an oversize set of coveralls, cut holes for valves, and wore them over top of my suit. There's not suit, and certainly not a trilam, that will stand up to sharp edges. $75 coveralls will do the job.

Back
Top Bottom