Safari and Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As for us, the last year we were in Tanzania and had a nice planned holiday from the local agent - We started from private Ndarakwai Ranch. We could observe the elephants and cheetahs, that go freely in the land. In 2 days we went to Makoa Wildlife Rescue Center. This is a rehabilitation center for animals just at the foot of Kilimanjaro Mount. But a total beauty discovery was Lake Chala and Materyni Waterfalls. The smell of water and the coffee plantations of the local Chagga tribe take you in a completely new reality, together with avocados, mangos, lemons, and bananas that grow just at a hand reach.

I know I'm late to the party, but for anyone searching for this: we did a safari in Tanzania (amazing!) in December, then went to Mafia Island (Also Tanzania - fly through Dar Es Salaam) Diving in Mafia was fine, lots of octopuses - muck diving was great if you like that type of diving (I love it) - lots of seahorses, nudies, small squids (big group), small frog fish, big frog fish, ghost pipe fish and so on. In winter months (nov-mar I think), you can also snorkel with whale sharks - our kids loved it, even though seas were a bit rough.

Zanzibar, Pemba, and Mafia
how is the diving in april (1-18)?
or is it better october (1-12)
love warm water though, not much curents
love muck macro (also manta and humpback never seen ) we dived all over the world so looking for only specials marin life like i mentioned

love muck macro (also manta and humpback never seen ) we dived all over the world so looking for only specials marin life like i mentioned

We only went to Mafia, so can’t comment on Pemba or Zanzibar.

I think April might be too late for the whale sharks, but best way is to contact dive centers in the area.

When I contacted them to learn more about the humpback whales they said they had not seen them for a few years, so for this you may have to look at Mozambique.

We liked the diving in Mafia, but it’s not the best place we’ve ever been and can’t compete with Phils or Indo (Lembeh) for strange critters - however, the muck diving is in warm water and only 3-6 m so we spent hours searching and had quite a nice time.

For mantas go to Maldives.

Starting from Jo'burg, hired a 4x4, 1 week diving in Ponta do Ouro (Mozambique), returning through Eswatini (before called Zwaziland) 3 days in a national park, not to be compared with Kruger or Serengheti of course, but very satisfying and much cheaper : in total less than 2200 usd + flight (4 persons).

Only the 1st night was reserved in Maputo, than wifi + booking.com or other website makes the job...

Strong currents in Pemba, which is my pick in the region. Contrary to the other islands, Pemba sits in very deep water in the Pemba Channel. The others on the continental shelf. Rich, nutritous deep water upwellings as well as clear water affects and dictates the conditions for reef life and developement. Mantas rare now (Tofu/Moz for that).
Periods you mention are just outside what’s normally recommended Nov-March, bug I have only dived there within that fram and can’t say what it’s like in October of April.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom