Review Seaskin Nova drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My new Seaskin Ultra (compressed neoprene) suit arrived today. I ordered it on November 4th. I did a quick try-on, just over shorts and a t-shirt and it seems to fit perfectly. But, with undergarments and when I can get somebody to zip it shut will be the real test. Hopefully, this weekend.

I got the Ultra with only a few options:

Main zipper cover
Trigon Pee valve
Si Tech valves
Comfort patch (inside, behind inflator valve)
Braces (suspenders - on inside)
Zippered pockets on both thighs
Trilobite on right and left forearms
Kevlar knee pads (w/no writing)
Name and flag on right arm
Deluxe changing mat/carry bag, also with name and flag patch

Oh, and I ordered a Seaskin drysuit hood, too. May as well be a full-on Seaskin poster boy.

Total bill with shipping to the US was a bit under USD$900. You just can't beat that for a made-to-measure, high quality dry suit!

I'll post a real review after I have dived it. My thought (hope!?) is that this suit is going to be my new go-to for any water from 70F down to around 50. Maybe even upper 40s. Below that it will be my trilam with thicker undies (and proper dry gloves).

View attachment 559770
Really interested to here more about this, since I’m looking at the similar design. I’m planning on doing probably 10-15ish drysuit dives per year, it’s not my main gig but trying to spend more time with my local divers who all dive drysuit, more or less year around, with the summer being gym clothes undergarments.

I am most interested to know how you feel about the seals. Going with the neoprene seals vs silicone SI-tech stuff would save a lot of money.

My new Seaskin Ultra (compressed neoprene) suit arrived today. I ordered it on November 4th. I did a quick try-on, just over shorts and a t-shirt and it seems to fit perfectly. But, with undergarments and when I can get somebody to zip it shut will be the real test. Hopefully, this weekend.

I got the Ultra with only a few options:

Main zipper cover
Trigon Pee valve
Si Tech valves
Comfort patch (inside, behind inflator valve)
Braces (suspenders - on inside)
Zippered pockets on both thighs
Trilobite on right and left forearms
Kevlar knee pads (w/no writing)
Name and flag on right arm
Deluxe changing mat/carry bag, also with name and flag patch

Oh, and I ordered a Seaskin drysuit hood, too. May as well be a full-on Seaskin poster boy.

Total bill with shipping to the US was a bit under USD$900. You just can't beat that for a made-to-measure, high quality dry suit!

I'll post a real review after I have dived it. My thought (hope!?) is that this suit is going to be my new go-to for any water from 70F down to around 50. Maybe even upper 40s. Below that it will be my trilam with thicker undies (and proper dry gloves).

View attachment 559770
Nice!

I really like those trilobite fittings; nice touch. NONREV is an unusual name.

Really interested to here more about this, since I’m looking at the similar design. I’m planning on doing probably 10-15ish drysuit dives per year, it’s not my main gig but trying to spend more time with my local divers who all dive drysuit, more or less year around, with the summer being gym clothes undergarments.

I am most interested to know how you feel about the seals. Going with the neoprene seals vs silicone SI-tech stuff would save a lot of money.

You and me both! I have never used neoprene seals and to be honest, I'm a little skeptical of the wrist seal arrangement. But, I decided to put a little faith in Seaskin and try it before I knock it.

upload_2020-1-12_8-8-23.jpeg
Gave the new Seaskin it’s first dip yesterday in a UK quarry 6C (43F) and it preformed brilliantly. No leaks and even after 0:50mins still warm in the 250 under suit. I do need raise my twins as couldn’t quite reach the valves but that’s nothing to do with the suit

You and me both! I have never used neoprene seals and to be honest, I'm a little skeptical of the wrist seal arrangement. But, I decided to put a little faith in Seaskin and try it before I knock it.
Do you think it makes sense to start a new thread for the Seaskin ultra, or better to just keep all the seaskin conversation in this thread? I think for many non-technical drysuit divers, there might be some benefits to a neoprene drysuit, but I think many people probably aren’t considering the ultra since the majority of scubaboard members are buying the Nova.

Do you think it makes sense to start a new thread for the Seaskin ultra, or better to just keep all the seaskin conversation in this thread? I think for many non-technical drysuit divers, there might be some benefits to a neoprene drysuit, but I think many people probably aren’t considering the ultra since the majority of scubaboard members are buying the Nova.
I have both, there isn’t much to discuss beyond suit quality which is consistent across the brand. All shell suits that fit properly dive the same which can also be said for most neoprene suits. I really like my Nova but the ultra dives much better and is warmer, if it were front zip I would never use the Nova.

I have both, there isn’t much to discuss beyond suit quality which is consistent across the brand. All she’ll suits that fit properly dive the same which can also be said for most neoprene suits. I really like my Nova but the ultra dives much better and is warmer, if it were front zip I would never use the Nova.
This seems the be the consensus amongst people who actually have the ultra (including the owners of Seaskin). So I think it’s interesting most people are opting for the Nova.

This seems the be the consensus amongst people who actually have the ultra (including the owners of Seaskin). So I think it’s interesting most people are opting for the Nova.
A shell suit is versatile in that you can adjust the insulation worn to match the conditions from warm to cold but with some cost, you can wear Minimal insulation for warmer conditions but if you have room in the suit for more insulation for the cold that becomes bubble that you have to work with. The Nova is much easier to use because I can zip it myself, even better since changing to a TiZip (plastic zip was not an option when I bought my Nova) I dove my Nova yesterday and wish I had used the Ultra instead because the water was a little colder than it has been.

Back
Top Bottom