Which Apeks first stages for tech back mount

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Personal preference plays some part. I prefer the DST and think it routes hoses much better. A few friends prefer the Tek3, some still use a DS4 or ATX100. Some who use the Apeks swear their other preferred brand routes better for them, just not enough to justify the cost of replacing them. I find my DSTs route fine for me on OC and CCR.

For best routing DST+5 or MTX-R.
MTX or DB4 may have an advantage in cold water but that is quite theoretical since a well maintained DST or DS4 fair perfectly in freezing conditions.

If you ask me, the MTX is a shiny version of the FSR ... not sure if anyone has been able to measure a performance difference, but the price difference is for sure ;-)

If you ask me, the MTX is a shiny version of the FSR ... not sure if anyone has been able to measure a performance difference, but the price difference is for sure ;-

You are correct with FSR.
For hose routing, turreted DST might be the winner for long hose deployment.

Sounds like DST with 5th port is the way to go

The good part about Apeks is that you don´t need to "standardise" on any first stage since DS4, DST,FSR and FST use the same rev-kits and are (except minor differences) technically the same.
If I had to buy know right now, I would, as many others recommended, go with DST and 5th port.

I've used the DST for years for my back gas, but like the DS4 for stage/deco bottles. I did upgrade the DST's to a 5th port, but, I didnt think they added anything, went back to not using them.

DST with 5th port.

Remember that all Apeks first stages (with the exception of the Flight) are mechanically identical and use the same AP0241 service kit. Your really only paying for different port numbers and orientations on the various models. DST with 5th port permits the classic crossing of back up regulator and wing hoses you see on hogarthian rigs using Scubapro Mk20/25 or Halcyon HP75 first stages. This also enable the first stages to be slightly angled to reduce the bend on the other hoses, keeps all hoses streamlined and running close to the body, and clear of your isolator.

On the versions, such as DST, that lack a removable HP seat this is not a major problem. It is rare to damage the seat and, even if you do, a service tech can, 99 times out of a 100, use the Apeks HP seat polishing tool to restore the seat to normal.

I have dove scuba pro mk17 regs on doubles scuba pro mk25 for doubles I prefer my apex tek3 for doubles now it’s all just a personal preference

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom