Trying to decide when to go to Red Sea

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jomcclain

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Am trying to decide when to make a first time trip to the Red Sea. From what I’ve read on scubaboard, looks like summer is the best time for seeing a variety of sea life. However, I don’t like to be hot. How hot is it on decks of LoB boats? Is there a sea breeze that keeps it cool, versus just as hot as it would be on land? Also, looks like airline prices go up in the summer. Is that just a fluke right now, or should I expect it to stay that way?

I'd imagine Virginia is worse in summer (never been there so speculating). But genererally even if the quicksilver is high in summer in Egypt, it is a dry desert heat. Not the sticky, balmy heat you'd experience in e.g. SEA or Florida. And you're right in that there is almost always wind blowing, from the Northeast, and it has a cooling effect especially out to sea on a boat. I've been many times in July and it can get very hot but rarely "unbarable", even for my Scandinavian skin. With all that said, some are extremely sensitive to heat, but if you can visit a tropical region w/o issues I wouldn't hesitate to go on a liveaboard in Egypt in summer. But don't forget to drink a lot of water. And try staying in the shade.

Would you agree that there is much more marine life to see in the summer? For reason of my schedule it would be easier to go in winter. The cold would not bother me, but I don’t want to waste my trip if there aren’t many fish to see in winter.

There is always wind to refresh you on the deck, but the sun is there... to make you like a steamed lobster in 30 minutes :facepalm:stay in the shadow !

All boats have airco, but yes, in summer it's hot. And the flights are more expensive as it's european and eastern holidays.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom