Dropping a spool

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'll try my best.

Let's say the spool is gone down to the blue.

You make a circle (like the ok sign) with your fingers. Take the line that is in front of you, make a U shape with it, feed the U tip in the finger loop. Attach the boltsnap to the tip of the loop and let it drop to the blue. Wait... the reel will be pulled up as the boltsnap drop. Then you have the dsmb at the surface, the spool in your hand and the bolt snap is down at the bottom of the sea.

I actually just clip the double ender on the line and shove it trough the circled fingers.

Make sense?

Really nice tip. Duly noted.
Never had one come loose during a dive, but it did come loose and fell in the boat just as I was about to back roll on my last dive. Still not sure how that happened.

Plastic ones drop to, a little slower but they go down.
Mine doesn't. At least not so fast that it's been a problem. When I've lost grip of it, it has hung there spinning right in front of my face long enough for me to grab it again.

Mine doesn't. At least not so fast that it's been a problem. When I've lost grip of it, it has hung there spinning right in front of my face long enough for me to grab it again.

The times I saw the dropped spool problem arise were most often with a spool clipped to a d-ring (hip or butt). When the diver noticed something was wrong, the spool was already long gone, leaving a trail of line clipped to the diver.

I have my students use several Spools and they can first hand observe the characteristics of each one...............

Rite of passage :wink:
Ayup! I dropped spool... In Palau... In a current... Only in 25ft of water, but it unraveled and on the bottom was lots of stag horn coral. Yes, it was a mess. Yes, I felt stooopid. But my buddy was good enough to help me round it up...
And didn't make me feel stooopid. Then I dropped it again as I was getting on the boat. And felt more stooopiderer. Not one of my better dives.

I assume that was while shooting a bag.

You can also use a backup light as a weight instead of a double ender which will make it easier to tell if you are in danger of snagging on the bottom.

Very nice tip.

And make sure the line is actually connected to the spool before this happens :D

^^^^ This lol
Had a tech student a few years ago. No need to go into details, given the topic of the thread, but sits somewhere in the depths of Lake Mead.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom