PADI Beyond Master Scuba Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Re Fish ID:

There should be a requirement for someone to have a background in some marine science field or indicate actual knowledge.

I can't imagine me teaching such a course:
Bingo!
But there ARE lots of instructors with a marine science background and considerable knowledge; too bad prospective students need to do a little research on this before saying yes to a class.

There should be a requirement for someone to have a background in some marine science field or indicate actual knowledge.

I can't imagine me teaching such a course:

"Oh, there's a big fish!"

"Hey, a pretty fish!"

"Oh man, that's an ugly fish."

I see you did the same Fish ID AOW dive that I did.

*pointing around the reef at Playa Maroma*
That's a fish. That's a fish.

*points at turtle*
That isn't a fish.

To be fair I had exactly 15 minutes to study the chapter and pass the test before the dive.

Would like a specialty where you dive, dive, dive... Then dive some more.

*points at turtle*
That isn't a fish..

I learned something new today. See, now I improved how I would teach a course I will never teach.

"

Course could have some information on different habitats and fish types, some life cycle information, and then passing the REEF level 2 survey exam (identify 25 species adults for the region of choice) would be more substantial and reasonable.

PADI should love a course like this since could have a PNW cert, a Carribean cert, and east coast US cert, a Hawaiin cert, etc.

That kind of stuff is why I only briefly visited the PADI universe. Those goons with all the patches are also the reason I don't do charters. I dive on my boat or private boats when I travel.

That kind of stuff is why I only briefly visited the PADI universe. Those goons with all the patches are also the reason I don't do charters. I dive on my boat or private boats when I travel.

Patches? Must be a regional thing. Most of my diving is on charters, mostly NC, and I never see patches except for the occassional instructor jacket.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom