How to Engage Younger People in Diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

On the local diving front, perhaps there's something we could do. We have regional forums; what if we had a sticky in each on how to get into local diving as a beginner? Like a lot of new divers, I had a hard time figuring out where to go and who to go with, even though I talked 3 friends into getting certified with me. It took me a while to find the clubs and shops that actually do fun dives where I Iive. Part of it is they're not always advertised well, so a Google search won't necessarily turn them up; part of it is there's a lot of defunct pages still up that look active and it takes a while to sift through those, part of it is just that even when you find something, it's hard to know what to expect in terms of all-in cost, parking and other logistics, whether you need to show up with a buddy, the extent to which someone there will be looking out for you if the dive turns out to be at the edge of your comfort envelope, etc. We could gather that information, update it over time, and tag people who can answer questions and are willing to buddy up with someone new.

Shops need to do a better job of advertising their trips and especially local events. Along with that comes the need for a decent web page. While some are great, i've seen others that are garbage.

Something simple as updating and removing past trips/events, reducing the need to work through long lists. When advertising a trip to a specific resort, put in a hyperlink to the resorts webpage or some useful links to the countries tourism bureau of other things to do. Make sure to list cost options for single divers (my biggest pet peeve) and a great way to bring in the younger divers that don't have SOs. Its a digital age and not all shops take advantage of it.

Shops need to do a better job of advertising their trips and especially local events. Along with that comes the need for a decent web page. While some are great, i've seen others that are garbage.

Something simple as updating and removing past trips/events, reducing the need to work through long lists. When advertising a trip to a specific resort, put in a hyperlink to the resorts webpage or some useful links to the countries tourism bureau of other things to do. Make sure to list cost options for single divers (my biggest pet peeve) and a great way to bring in the younger divers that don't have SOs. Its a digital age and not all shops take advantage of it.

Ditto this. I have never experienced so much confusion at a website as when I'm on a dive shops website, and that's been consistent for almost all that I've tried to navigate. Advertising the gear they have in stock and what brands they service (and the prices they service at) would also be a big help

It is an easier sell than cold water.

I think it is safe to say that the overwhelming majority of open water divers in the Puget Sound wearing wetsuits are miserable. Instructors are forced to keep them short as since they plant the students on their knees, the students don't generate much heat.

OW simply isn't any fun as a result.

That's why I will only teach in dry suits, or not at all.

When I did my OW, I did it in the summer. It worked out, as we were lucky to be diving 2 of the 5 sunny days in Seattle every summer. We started in the morning, only started to sweat walking into the water. Dive was short, 20 minutes on our knees. Came back out, basked in the sun and I think that really helped warm us back up. Started to get a little chilly towards the end of the second dive.

It was mainly just sitting on our knees looking at murky water and holding onto a rope. Wintertime would absolutely suck. The tragic day a young woman died in August in 2016 in an open water class, it was mostly cloudy, and I wonder if her being too cold contributed to her getting separated and ultimately losing her life. I was at the next cove over that day and will never forget it.

People who learn in dry suits (assuming that it doesn't flood) are much, much happier. But dry suits are expensive, and most shops (the exception being 8, a GUE/NAUI shop) don't really invest in them and for the ones they purchase, they try to squeeze very dollar out of them (8 is an exception. They sell lightly used dry suits that are good buys).

Any thoughts on at one point potential 'recruits' become aware of and intrigued by the practical options of getting scuba training?

When I was younger, I would've thought divers either lived in coastal areas, were marine biologist types, worked in media production or were wealthy (which, in fairness, by the standards of much of the world's population we are, but I'm talking about American societal views).

How many people know you can probably get trained at a local quarry?

While some diss cruising, I suspect some of the same people enticed to cruise would be susceptible to a scuba pitch - a willingness to spend money and travel to try something new, fun and exciting in an exotic locale such as the Caribbean. People who like easier, less dangerous travel hobbies than skiing or rock climbing.

People going on cruises are also 'already in the neighborhood' of popular dive destinations and in a position to try it without making a special trip or having to 'settle' for a quarry.

As a 30 year old, new to diving in the last two years (that doesn't own a TV so no video games here...), one of the big things that took so long to get me into diving and still makes me hesitant is cost. I am affluent in many expensive outdoor sports (rock climbing, backcountry skiing, ice climbing) and this one is hands down the biggest financial burden. Just getting OW certified can push $1000 ($700 if you are lucky)-that does not include buying any of your own gear. Sure, you can rent but that makes a day diving cost around $150 where I am at just for the day. I can spend that same amount of money on ice climbing gear and not have to spend another cent on gear for years. Even if I own all my own gear, there is still the price of gas every time.

And then if you like it, it's more and more money for various certifications so you can do the different specialties. Want to dive local in Alaska where I am at? Gotta get that drysuit cert so you can even rent one which is pretty much mandatory to dive here. Wanna check out that awesome wreak at 80 feet on vacation? better get deep diver or AOW too. Not to mention you have to actually go dive to get your buoyancy and trim under control, which as mentioned costs every time you want to dive.

To be fair, I just don't think that many people in my generation have the money to support diving and do much else that we are interested in (travel, maybe have a family, other sports, etc.) when there are many other outdoor outlets that maybe have a high initial cost but are relatively free after. I can go on a week long climbing trip and just pay for gas and food vs a week long diving trip that will cost in the thousands of dollars. While I personally am lucky enough to have the financial means to actually support diving, many of my peers are either just completely priced out of the sport or in order to actually be a diver would have to give up all other fun things that require less financial commitment.

And, to be honest, it is intimidating walking into a dive shop as a young noob. I got lucky and got connected to the right people in my area right away. A lot of the time with other sports like climbing or skiing you know someone who does it and your buddy teaches you the basics. Scuba diving is not as out on the open these days-I know very few (active) fellow divers other than who I know through the LDS. A lot of divers I know got certified years ago and have not dove since-often for reasons stated above.

I have no expertise in "Casual Furnishings" but this article made me think that it might be useful for existing dive shows and associations to offer a special meeting or forum sessions geared toward young divers. The forum would be led by young divers and geared toward topics of interest to that demographic.

Membership Hack: A Conference Led by Young Members

When I was in my teens I was usually the youngest, in my twenties, there was mostly young divers and a good number of middle age divers. Over the years I have watched this invert. I am still often the youngest and certainly not the oldest diver and I am 65 yo. And I see virtually no folks under 30. But I see the very same thing in all outdoor sports from hiking, camping, hunting/shooting and especially motorcycling as well as the competitive side of bicycling. It is not just SCUBA and diving that is shrinking up and aging out.

The money thing, well, hmmm, my parents were not rich, solid middle class upbringing, SCUBA instruction at the Y was inexpensive to be sure (and tough and long and fun). I managed to get equipment, some was given me, I mowed yards and delivered things by bicycle for the local country general goods store (we were rural) to buy my USD Calypso regulator ($99). And we dove wherever we could find water, including me going solo rather often and in college through grad school I was hardly rich. The point being, money is not an excuse.

I do not know.

N

Back
Top Bottom